Re: Best choice for free personnal firewall ?

From: Vic Dura (vpdura_at_CLUTTERhiwaay.net)
Date: 05/05/05

    Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 17:13:20 -0500

    On Wed, 04 May 2005 23:03:52 +0200, in comp.security.firewalls RE:
    Best choice for free personnal firewall ? Damien
    <damienouebePAS-DE@SPAMlaposte.net> wrote:

    >What other free solutions are serious enough? I've heard negative
    >critics on ZoneAlarm and the FW included in Win XP SP2, but more
    >positive on Sygate PF?

    I tried Sygate PF and I liked it except for the massive traffic log
    file it generated from the other two computers on my home workgroup
    LAN. Even though I had a rule allowing all traffic from the IP
    addresses of the two other computers, it logged all the traffic that
    it saw from them and I couldn't see a way to turn that off. I found it
    annoying, but you may not object to it.

    • Re: [Full-disclosure] PC Firewall Choices
      ... ZoneAlarm - gets in the way, ... > I am looking at supplementing the Windows XP SP2 Firewall with a third ... > party product on a bunch of Windows machines. ... > ZoneAlarm, Sygate, Norton, Kerio, and Tiny. ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: How can I tell what program i dialing?
      ... applications trying to access the Internet, like ZoneAlarm or Sygate ... It is best to run antivirus and spyware ... MS MVP - Windows Shell/User ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: networking
      ... I followed you steps and made the change in Sygate and it appears ... >>The notebook appears in the list of workgroup computers on my desktop, ... > allow access on the local area network. ... > Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group ...
    • Re: switch from zonealarm to sygate, problems
      ... > After uninstalling ZoneAlarm and installing Sygate, ... Uninstall Sygate, follow Zonelabs instructions and then reinstall Sygate. ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • ZoneAlarm vs Sygate
      ... I just installed the Sygate product... ... Running Win2K Pro and have setup the NTP time sync to keep the system ... ZoneAlarm would never report that activity. ... In fact ZoneAlarm would ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)