Re: Is a firewall required...

From: Lars M. Hansen (
Date: 05/03/05

Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 18:47:49 -0400

On Mon, 2 May 2005 17:09:05 -0400, Junkyard Engineer spoketh

>yes, I'm doing port forwarding
>I'm trying to lower my programs overhead and ZA+ is probably slowding down
>the system somewhat although I'm not entirely sure of that.
>Would MS Firewall would have a faster response thant ZA+ ?

No packet filter will protect your web server if you choose to make it
public (which you have by forwarding the port).

A packet filter simply drops packets based on source and destination
address and port information, it doesn't look at the content of the
packet itself.

The only firewall that will help with this, would be an application
proxy which validates HTTP requests and drops connections that doesn't
smell like a proper HTTP request.

And, of course, you should make sure your IIS server is secured and
patched to reduce the chances of your IIS box getting hacked.

Lars M. Hansen