Re: Reverse DNS

From: Michael Pelletier (mjpelletier_at_mjpelletier.com)
Date: 05/02/05

Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 19:18:04 -0700

Frankster wrote:

> Why might I benefit from have a reverse lookup record?
>
> I know one school of thought it to not use a reverse entry to protect
> privacy.
>
> Another is to have one, but why?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Frank

First, realize that security by obscurity never works. Second, you need
reverse DNS for things like email gateways. A lot of people will block you
if you do not have a reverse DNS enabled. Not using reverse DNS can also
can break some protocols...

In short, your security policy should not be based on obscurity. In my
opinion not using reverse DNS is a mistake.

Michael

--
"Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems." -
Linus Torvald

Relevant Pages

  • Re: reverse DNS resolution...
    ... We're trying to get reverse DNS resolution for a block of IPs ... We've had the 10.x network working great at the office ... your DNS needs to be authoritative for both forward and reverse. ... IN PTR user1.vpn. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Reverse DNS or PTR Help!!!
    ... The reverse DNS has to be managed by the people who assigned you the IP address, normally the ISP. ... They control that range of IP's, and so by setting up a reverse record for your domain they are confirming that you have a right to use that IP address. ... It was suggested to setup a SMARTHOST. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)
  • Re: DNS Records for an Exchange Server serving multiple domains
    ... >> Exchange server to send and receive email for multiple domains. ... Reverse DNS does not matter. ... Reverse DNS lookups, it will come back as valid. ... This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange2000.admin)
  • Re: DNS Records for an Exchange Server serving multiple domains
    ... >> Exchange server to send and receive email for multiple domains. ... Reverse DNS does not matter. ... Reverse DNS lookups, it will come back as valid. ... This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.dns)
  • Re: DNS Records for an Exchange Server serving multiple domains
    ... >> Exchange server to send and receive email for multiple domains. ... Reverse DNS does not matter. ... Reverse DNS lookups, it will come back as valid. ... This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange2000.general)