Re: Reverse DNS

From: Michael Pelletier (mjpelletier_at_mjpelletier.com)
Date: 05/02/05

Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 19:18:04 -0700

Frankster wrote:

> Why might I benefit from have a reverse lookup record?
>
> I know one school of thought it to not use a reverse entry to protect
> privacy.
>
> Another is to have one, but why?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Frank

First, realize that security by obscurity never works. Second, you need
reverse DNS for things like email gateways. A lot of people will block you
if you do not have a reverse DNS enabled. Not using reverse DNS can also
can break some protocols...

In short, your security policy should not be based on obscurity. In my
opinion not using reverse DNS is a mistake.

Michael

--
"Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems." -
Linus Torvald