Re: is Zone allam locking up?

From: Jason Edwards (none1_at_invalid.invalid)
Date: 05/01/05

Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 15:38:40 +0100

"MikeS" <michaelsansom@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:eYZce.22679$G8.11080@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

> "Jason Edwards" <none1@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> > "Jason Edwards" <none1@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> >> "ABC" <simonbray@nospamemail.afraid.org> wrote in message

> > the
> >>
> >> I suggest you re read what the OP wrote and then ask yourself how we
> >> might
> >> figure out whether this problem is caused by ZA or something else. If
you
> >> need any hints let me know.
> >>

> > Sorry if that was a bit harsh but I really don't need to be reminded how
> > wonderful personal firewalls are. I've been configuring them for other
> > people for at least 6 years. Mostly for people who had no clue what they
> > do
> > or what the popup messages mean but still insist on keeping the firewall
> > software installed because it makes them _feel_ more secure, and anyway
> > the
> > BBC told them to install a firewall so I must be wrong to tell them
their
> > personal firewall is causing them more problems than they'd have had
> > otherwise.
> >
> > Jason
> >
> >Hi Jason,
>
> I think the trouble with my machine was the power control was set to
switch
> of the modem after a time of inactivity.

That will do it.

> The first thing I tried was to
> disable Zone Alarm to see if it was the cause. I think it would be helpful
> if programs that needed access in and out of a system had plain language
> titles as well as the programming titles, as it is not clear (sometimes)
> from their name tags what programs they represent and if one should grant
> permission.

The name of a program tells you very little. If ZA does not give the full
path to the program (the folder it's in) then it may as well not bother
telling you anything at all.

> When I disabled Zone Allarm I clean the machine with Spybot and
> Adware. and use Adwatch to monitor what programs are active in and out of
> the machine.

I run spybot s&d sometimes too, but it never finds anything because I never
permit any additional programs to be added to the system, so I don't really
need to use spybot at all.

> I run my machine on a belt and braces approach and would recommend using
> more than one intrusion detector because, I have found for example, Ad
aware
> and Spybot do not individually pick up all the nasties. Unfortunate
> programs, as with advice, no one source is the absolute answer as we all
> have our own axe to grind.

I think it's a better idea not to allow the nasties to be installed in the
first place.
If you don't add untrusted code to your system then you don't need to remove
it.

> It seems to me computing and programs that run them, are follows the rules
> of evolution similar the biological systems.

Windows does seem to be adapting to its home user environment, slowly.

Jason

> this begs the question, what
> stage are we at now? Dinosaur.
>
> Thanks all
> My machine is now behaving itself.
>
> MikeS

Relevant Pages

  • Re: is Zone allam locking up?
    ... > wonderful personal firewalls are. ... titles as well as the programming titles, as it is not clear ... and Spybot do not individually pick up all the nasties. ... of evolution similar the biological systems. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Firewall Security
    ... I do have Norton Anti-Virus ... > 2005 and run Spybot and AdAware regularly. ... >> NATs do seem to stop inbound events ever registering on a personal ... >> Personal firewalls do at least warn that accepting some criteria could ...