Re: new ZoneAlarm won't hold settings

From: skydiver (abso_at_lut.ely)
Date: 05/01/05

Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 07:31:10 GMT

"David 01" <ifiwantspam@illask.org> wrote in message
news:1178c41pa9i9771@corp.supernews.com...

> "dak" <comp-security-firewalls@spamtrap.cjb.net> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 06:08:18 GMT, "skydiver" <abso@lut.ely> wrote:
>>
>> >I upgraded to the new ZoneAlarm free version the other day and it
> wouldn't
>> >hold any settings. After resetting my computer, it always came back up
>> >without any programs listed in the Programs section, and it always
> reverted
>> >to the other default startup settings. I tried uninstalling and
> reinstalling
>> >the prior ZA version, as well as a system restore, but that didn't fix
> it.
>>
>> ZoneAlarm not retaining its settings, regardless of version, usually
>> indicates a corrupted database.
>> Here is a "generic" set of instructions for refreshing/rebuilding a
>> corrupt ZoneAlarm database:
>>
>> [Please note that this will remove your program permissions and Local
>> Zone settings, so you may want to make note of them. However,
>> re-establishing them is a simple process. You will be prompted again
>> for program access for all the applications that you use to access the
>> local network or Internet.]
>>
>> - Step 1. Open the ZoneAlarm program, go into the Overview Preferences
>> tab and turn off "Load ZoneAlarm at startup".
>>
>> - Step 2. If you are running Windows 95, 98, ME, or 2000, reboot your
>> system into either Safe Mode or to a Command Prompt. The method is
>> determined by your OS, but most systems will boot into safe mode by
>> either pressing F8 at the beep or holding the CTRL key during bootup.
>> You should now have no ZoneAlarm processes running on your system.
>>
>> - Step 3. Open the Internet Logs directory (in 95/98/ME this will be
>> "C:\Windows\Internet Logs", in NT and 2000 it will be "C:\Winnt\Internet
>> Logs", in Windows XP it could be either of these folders), where you
>> will find a file named "iamdb.rdb" and a file named after your computer
>> with the ".ldb" extension. Delete both of these files. If "backup.rdb"
>> exists, delete it also.
>>
>> - Step 4. Make sure that you EMPTY your Recycle Bin BEFORE rebooting
>> back into normal mode.
>>
>> - Step 5. You will need to start ZoneAlarm manually. (Click "Start,"
>> "Programs," "Zone Labs" and either "ZoneAlarm" or "Zone Labs
>> Security"). ZoneAlarm will start up again with a fresh database. Each
>> program should ask for access again if the files were properly deleted.
>>
>> - Step 6. Be sure to RECHECK the "Load ZoneAlarm at startup".
>>
>> --
>> dak
>> My SpywareBlaster Custom Blocking List:
>> <http://customblockinglist.cjb.net/>
>
> Also, some recent versions of Avast antivirus caused Zonealarm to not hold
> settings. Latest versions of Avast seem to have corrected this problem.

Thanks for that tip. I have avast antivirus. I also have the latest avast
version. I'll ask about it over on the avast forum which is usually helpful.

As for refreshing the ZA database as instructed by zak, I've tried that and
it doesn't help. Except, I didn't empty the Recycle Bin as indicated in Step
4, so guess I'll have to give it another try. I doubt that it will fix it,
however, as something more fundamental seems awry - such as a problem with
avast antivirus.

--
skydiver
(this space intentionally left blank)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Why Does ZoneAlarm Refuse to Remember Program/Privacy Settings?
    ... > Have I missed a ZA or Windows setting? ... ZoneAlarm regardless of version. ... [settings, so you may want to make note of them. ... but most systems will boot into safe mode by either pressing F8 at the beep ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: new ZoneAlarm wont hold settings
    ... >to the other default startup settings. ... ZoneAlarm not retaining its settings, regardless of version, usually ... indicates a corrupted database. ... system into either Safe Mode or to a Command Prompt. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Zone Alarm - allow deny - remember this setting....?
    ... Zone Alarm no longer holding its settings, regardless of version, is ... ususally indicative of a corrupt ZA database. ... Open the ZoneAlarm program, ... system into either Safe Mode or to a Command Prompt. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: new ZoneAlarm wont hold settings
    ... >>to the other default startup settings. ... > ZoneAlarm not retaining its settings, regardless of version, usually ... > indicates a corrupted database. ... > system into either Safe Mode or to a Command Prompt. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: IE will not display websites
    ... Zonealarm was blocking IE internet ... This was fixed when I unistalled Zonealarm and then re-installed it. ... Zone Alarm Pro can block access to Internet ... settings,yes the proxy settings are blank and not ticked. ...