Re: suggestions for router/fw?

From: Duane Arnold (notme_at_notme.com)
Date: 05/01/05

Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 07:00:32 GMT

EA <ea@someisp.invalid> wrote in news:Xns96491AC627085eid99@207.106.93.226:

> I have had dialup until now but I'll soon be getting DSL. I'm not
> familiar with routers or hardware firewals and I was wondering if
> anyone could give me some suggestions. I have 2 computers at home and
> I'd like to connect both to a router. Both computers have PFW. I'm
> also considering a hardware firewall. I don't want the 2 computers to
> share files, just to be able to access the internet. Neither computer
> runs any servers, no open ports, etc. I can spend up to $200-$300 (not
> including the modem). Any suggestions on how I can get the best
> protection for this setup with that budget?
>
> Also, if anyone could suggest a web site with info for people who are
> just beginning to learn about routers, etc., I would appreciate it.
>
> manuel

I think it can be applied even for a home setup learning about the FW
technologies.

http://www.more.net/technical/netserv/tcpip/firewalls/

Duane :)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Workgroup Security Help Needed.
    ... >>> computer in any workgroup can access a computer in any other workgroup ... Connect the Workgroup A computers to the first new router. ... The first network is for my own computers. ... >>> Broadband routers usually have only four LAN ports, ...
  • If you think your router is secure, the NSA will prove otherwise [telecom]
    ... Cisco's PIX security firewall routers are child's ... i agree that may consumer router vendors ship extremely insecure products. ... air-gapped computers can no longer be ...
    (comp.dcom.telecom)
  • Re: Removing Non-Existant Domains and Workgroups
    ... I have no idea what computers on our network (16 sites, ... The master browser for each subnet passes that info. to the domain ... Netscreen routers since they are a managed service and are used as DHCP ... Microsoft MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services ...
  • Re: Do I really need firewall? A newbies question
    ... their own firewalls and you have the major ports blocked for the IPs ... you have assigned to your computers why would there be a reason to put ... router firewalls (on routers that I can afford lol) because it can lead ... I think this leads back to the age-old debate of which is better - ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Using a hub and router
    ... One computer is hosting the other ten and the ten computers are ... >using the routers to access the host computer. ... >LinkSYS 4 port routers and the hub is a brand that I never heard of and it is ... Connect a LAN port of each router to one of the hub's ports. ...