Re: Do I really need firewall? A newbie's question

From: Duane Arnold (notme_at_notme.com)
Date: 05/01/05

Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 06:01:22 GMT

"Lei Hu" <leihu@nojunk.com> wrote in news:d51l7j$7to$1@nnrp.waia.asn.au:

> Dear Experts,
>
> I have a newbie question about firewall, and hope you can explain to
> me. Thanks beforehand.
>
> My home network has three computers, and uses ADSL for Internet
> connection. I just use a normal ADSL modem/router, and use 192.168.x.x
> addresses in LAN. These addresses are non-routable, which means that
> other people cannot access my computers from outside using these IP
> addresses.

But it doesn't mean that someone couldn't launch an attack against the
public IP the adsl/router is using. And they can come past the NAT router.
In addition to that, if a machine on the LAN is compromised by malware such
as a Trojan, the NAT router usually has no means to stop traffic to the
compromising site for either inbound to the machine or outbound form the
machine.

> So, why should I enable firewall in my modem/router
> settings?

If you have any sense, you'll enable whaterver else that NAT router has for
protection.

Duane :)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Multiple IP assignment
    ... ICS is a software based NAT router. ... A NAT router lets you use one external IP ... subnet for your LAN, ... BUT please secure your computers if you do this. ...
  • Re: Help with long term network problem
    ... DATA by other machines on the LAN. ... Depending on the boot sequence of the computers this changed. ... dispensing with the dedicated server and just using on as file ...
  • Re: Linux Server, Please Help
    ... and squid with adzapper set up to be a transparent proxy. ... On the LAN is a network printer, and other computers running, ... outgoing mail and wait for a connection before sending to the ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: non domain computers on network
    ... I need the security reasons spelled out - links are fine I ... new computer and bring thier PC with them and plug into the LAN. ... computers on their separate VLAN, and have then connected to the printers ... (assuming these are network printers). ...
  • Re: Browsing WIndows Network "broken" with Symantec VPN/100 firewall appliance
    ... >Nothing in the Symantec KB mentions LAN Browsing except a small blurb ... >properly" and to "verify that all computers are on the same Workgroup ... >Special Application tweak do I? ... Lars M. Hansen ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)