Re: hotmail password request tool (intranet usage)

From: Terry Dykstra (tddykstra_at_forestoil.ca)
Date: 04/19/05

Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 20:43:57 GMT

Not necesarily. Decent content scanners determine what the file is not
based on the extension, but the signature. Same for files included within a
zip.

--
Terry Dykstra
Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.
wrote in message news:IvGdnQw8j5LzxfjfRVn-hw@comcast.com...

> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message

> > > This is happening to several of my friends, especially in academia.
> >
> > It's very common, and a good method, to delete Zip files that are
> > passworded or can't be opened and the contents scanned for malicious
code
> > by the email av or firewall software. We always delete unscannable zip
> > file.
>
>   What is someone changed the file extension to
> something like ZPP? That would get it past the
> filters that delete ZIP files.
>

> > --
> > spam999free@rrohio.com
> > remove 999 in order to email me

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Trojan horse Downloader.Generic.ML
    ... >> It is a good idea for scanners to completely ignore ... They could still use extension based exclude lists for ... seen 'include' lists with reference to filetype blocking (when someone ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Trojan horse Downloader.Generic.ML
    ... >> It is a good idea for scanners to completely ignore ... They could still use extension based exclude lists for ... seen 'include' lists with reference to filetype blocking (when someone ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Microtek ScanWizard and 8.6
    ... >>> Which version of Scanwizard is that? ... >>> Theo ... The problem seems to be the extension SM-V300 V1.2.2 PPC, ... package that installs a long list of extensions for other scanners. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.apps)
  • Re: Signature Font
    ... > Or ignore the default extension and just wrap the entire name in quotes. ... >> signature. ... >>> HTML messages. ... Then click on the file option and set the htm file as the ...
  • Re: Can Anyone Interpret these USERENV.log errors?
    ... I did run the test you recommended ant it passed.. ... USERENV04:50:26:428 ProcessGPOs: Extension ... >It is possible the registry.pol file in the group policy ... >> read signature with 0 ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy)