Re: apps that constantly want access

From: Jason Edwards (none1_at_invalid.invalid)
Date: 04/17/05

Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 12:09:19 +0100

"Western Pacific" <nunjo@-.com> wrote in message
news:1bf461lu8pshgkdctudekcfrffotbqoqmv@4ax.com...
> just what is it with these apps that demand internet access evertime
> they launch?

Could be checking for vital security updates to the application.
Could be trying to get additional information such as a CD title.
Could be reporting your usage habits anonymously.
Could be doing almost anything.
ZA isn't going to tell you which.

> when you dont allow them access (with zone alarm in my
> case) they immediately crash (like some spoiled child throwing a
> crying tantrum) is there any way to run these apps WITHOUT internet
> access and without crashing....

Probably, if you forget about ZA and use a properly configured external
firewall box to control what goes in and out.

Jason

Relevant Pages

  • Re: run console app from asp.net web application
    ... we've played around with the web service idea. ... Using the Process class I can launch processes ... for a variety of apps, ... "Gerry Hickman" wrote: ...
    (microsoft.public.vsnet.general)
  • Re: >> currentDb access.application
    ... Other launch examples that I proposed: ... to treat the other apps as library DBs) with the common objects. ... I just don't see any reason to maintain separate apps. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.modulesdaovba)
  • Re: WTF!!!
    ... > MY KDE is ridiculously slow, i have to wait a very noticeable amount ... This is becoming a real pisser, all apps take forever to launch, but run ... gnome so that i can identify if it is a KDE problem or not. ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Logical Disk Manager fails to start
    ... with Office, where I either couldn't get apps to start at all, or ... indicated that the LDM remote tool was being blocked by the firewall, ... "Server execution failed" message every time I try to launch LDM. ... Event Source: DCOM ...
  • Re: Project consisting of multiple projects
    ... Thanks for your response, Gregory. ... combination of four different applications. ... If they are four separate apps, you will have to create an app launcher ... you will have to launch them. ...