Re: Advice for SOHO firewall gear?

From: Bradd W. Szonye (bradd+news_at_szonye.com)
Date: 04/15/05

Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 21:55:15 GMT

Leythos wrote:
> Unless you are absolutely sure you know enough to secure the OS and
> firewall services running on the computer ....

I do.

> ... a appliance is the ideal way to go - they are small, consume less
> power than a PC, are more reliable than a PC, have less moving parts,
> the only drawback is that they don't always offer the ability to add
> everything-under-the-sun to the setup/config like a system running on
> a PC would.

The Soekris systems (and the similar WRAP systems) are embedded PCs.
They have no moving parts and only draw 5 watts of power, but they're
just as flexible as a general-purpose computer, at least for router
duty. That's why they look ideal for my needs.

--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd