Re: Firewall for a web farm

From: Munpe Q (funyon_at_gmail.com)
Date: 04/07/05

Date: 7 Apr 2005 05:56:31 -0700

You need to identify how many concurrent sessions are being initiated
across your firewall before you make a blind decision. If you just run
out and buy a firewall you're gonna likely get yourself into a
situation where your session count is the problem and not the
bandwidth. Also consider something that is definitely a true security
device but it doesn't have to have the complexity that some vendors
like to incorporate into the firewall's. Security and the devices
themselves do not have to be a stumbling block to good management. I
would tell you to review and demo a NetScreen firewall first, then look
at a PIX, after that it just goes downhill. Whatever you do, stay away
from SonicWALL unless you're a sadist and enjoy terrible products.

Relevant Pages

  • Which firewall is best ?
    ... I am looking for Firewall for one of sites in INDIA. ... Concurrent Sessions --- 500,000 ... Authentication based User Web Access ... Fragmented Packet Reassembly ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: [fw-wiz] Firewall scaling
    ... I'm trying to convince management that a firewall that supports 32000 ... concurrent sessions is enough for an organization that has a single WAN ... internet link, and about 60-100 users, but I'm lacking arguments. ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)