Re: Compression TCP/IP

From: JShepherd (
Date: 04/06/05

Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 09:38:09 -0500

In article <d301ru$30ik$>, says...
>> With a dial-up connection (and certain others), the link layer is PPP:
>> (
>> PPP includes a limited form of compression.
>> Why is this of interest, anyhow?
>I'm currently examining IPsec.
>If encryption is used, then compression is not possible.

You compress the data before you encrypt it.

  compress decompress
      encrypt decrypt
          send() -----> recv()

Relevant Pages

  • Re: AES and Diehard
    ... >you could employ kill file, ... The result of encryption which might eventually develop ... a standard for crypto the 'diversity' of interests is ... compression algorithm could exploit in order to compress. ...
  • [HPADM] SUMMARY: File Transfer from AS400 to HP-UX with compression and e ncryption?
    ... Also I'd like to know what compression and/or encryption techniques might be ... We're currently doing FTP from AS400 which is taking about 5 hours so they'd ... The gzip site says there is no encryption available for gzip so one would ...
  • Re: Compression and encryption
    ... I would like to have both encryption (in case the computer gets ... I could tell Windows to compress the files that get written to the ... Windows XP Pro comes with EFS. ... I want both compression and encryption. ...
  • Re: Just a thought...
    ... idea apply bijective arithmetic compression or bijective PPM compression ... like in BICOM before the encryption. ... way even if the correct key was used say for a CBC AES type of encryption ... you could rotate the file using DSC or you could add a secret number ...
  • Re: Logical Thinking...???
    ... Aside from the fact that it's mighty hard to define "random noise," ... even over a set of common compression methods. ... (to the compressed file + its encryption key ...