Re: Blackice Firewall

From: Redmond du Barrymond (redmond_at_STUFFIT.invalid)
Date: 04/03/05

Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 11:04:15 -0700

http://www.grc.com/lt/leaktest.htm
NetworkICE's BlackICE Defender Update
Apparently Designed to Mislead its Users

Eleven Months after the release of our first, simple, but effective
and popular (4,340,641 downloads) LeakTest firewall testing utility,
BlackICE Defender (BID) continues to "leak" as defined by LeakTest.
But a recent update to BID (version 2.9cai) was hiding this fact from
its users by effectively cheating the LeakTest.

Rather than enhancing BlackICE Defender by adding the sort of
application-level controls that are available even from many
completely free personal firewalls, BID's publisher, NetworkICE,
apparently chose to prevent LeakTest's intended operation by adding
specific awareness to BID of LeakTest's remote testing IP.

http://www.zdnet.com.au/reviews/software/security/0,39023452,20264708,00.htm
 BlackIce PC Protection: Dark and slippery

PC protection is a must, but many users will find BlackIce PC
Protection's interface and rules baffling.

Waves apps through the blockade

Confusing, cluttered interface

Diligent but bothersome

Not everything is in stealth mode

http://www.informationweek.com/841/langa.htm
Good And Bad Online Security Check-Ups

You might think this a harmless prank, but I don't. That's because the
site is using this ruse to scare users into buying a copy of Black Ice
Defender, a personal firewall, supposedly to prevent this
"vulnerability." (If you examine the site's sales URL, you'll see that
the site owner is an "affiliate" of Network Ice, the publishers of
Black Ice Defender.

You people seen enough or do I have to beat you around the head some
more?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: BlackICE Defender vs. hardware firewall
    ... ShieldsUP is the poorest thing i've ever seen, if you want to be sure that ... > Your friend is mostly correct in stating that the hardware firewall hides ... > BlackIce defender is a good product, but you've also got to configure it ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Blackice Firewall
    ... > NetworkICE's BlackICE Defender Update ... > its users by effectively cheating the LeakTest. ... > completely free personal firewalls, BID's publisher, NetworkICE, ... The notion of stealth is crap and as long as the port is closed it is ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: BlackICE Defender vs. hardware firewall
    ... Your friend is mostly correct in stating that the hardware firewall hides ... BlackIce defender is a good product, but you've also got to configure it ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Need old BlackICE software
    ... version of BlackICE Defender hot off the Internet. ... The Sub7 Trojan sent off its eMail containing the ... I took a lot of grief after my LeakTest utility cut right through BlackICE ... Well, see if ZA can stop anything at system boot and logon, when the PFW has not been started first before the O/S can make a TCP/IP connection and the malware can start and get there before the PFW can be started, since any 3rd party PFW is NOT and integrated part of the O/S. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Simple question regarding Windows 2003 Firewall
    ... I just setup a Windows 2003 Server running IIS and Exchange 2003. ... software firewall product. ... incoming traffic through our hardware firewall which does simple port ... forwarding and BlackICE Defender stopped a lot of attacks coming over ...