Re: Blackice Firewall

From: Redmond du Barrymond (redmond_at_STUFFIT.invalid)
Date: 04/03/05

Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 11:04:15 -0700

http://www.grc.com/lt/leaktest.htm
NetworkICE's BlackICE Defender Update
Apparently Designed to Mislead its Users

Eleven Months after the release of our first, simple, but effective
and popular (4,340,641 downloads) LeakTest firewall testing utility,
BlackICE Defender (BID) continues to "leak" as defined by LeakTest.
But a recent update to BID (version 2.9cai) was hiding this fact from
its users by effectively cheating the LeakTest.

Rather than enhancing BlackICE Defender by adding the sort of
application-level controls that are available even from many
completely free personal firewalls, BID's publisher, NetworkICE,
apparently chose to prevent LeakTest's intended operation by adding
specific awareness to BID of LeakTest's remote testing IP.

http://www.zdnet.com.au/reviews/software/security/0,39023452,20264708,00.htm
 BlackIce PC Protection: Dark and slippery

PC protection is a must, but many users will find BlackIce PC
Protection's interface and rules baffling.

Waves apps through the blockade

Confusing, cluttered interface

Diligent but bothersome

Not everything is in stealth mode

http://www.informationweek.com/841/langa.htm
Good And Bad Online Security Check-Ups

You might think this a harmless prank, but I don't. That's because the
site is using this ruse to scare users into buying a copy of Black Ice
Defender, a personal firewall, supposedly to prevent this
"vulnerability." (If you examine the site's sales URL, you'll see that
the site owner is an "affiliate" of Network Ice, the publishers of
Black Ice Defender.

You people seen enough or do I have to beat you around the head some
more?