Re: D-Link 604 and WallWatcher

From: Sir_George (Sir_George_at_mailinator.com)
Date: 03/30/05

Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:55:41 -0700

newsgroups...

Could you please post instructions on how I would setup my DI-604 so that it
sends log records to "Syslog port 514." The only log settings available are
for entries regarding
"SMTP Server / IP Address" and "Email Address."

Again, I just wanted to state that I can receive log files via E-mail, but
have been unable to configure the Log settings to be viewed by WallWatcher.

--
Sir_George
<newsgroups@wallwatcher.com> wrote in message
> Someone sent me log samples from the DI-604 a couple of months ago, and
> they were used to add WallWatcher support for that router.  That's also
> how I know that the DI-604 can send log records to Syslog port 514.
>
> Before that, other people had told me they could not get SysLog style
> logging to work with the DI-604.  This suggests one of two things:
> there's a newer model available that supports SysLog, while the older
> ones don't; or there's newer Firmware available that adds SysLog to
> models that couldn't do it with previous Firmware.
>
> You may want to check D-Link's website to find out what's available for
> your model of DI-604.
>
> Also, you may want to check Duane's suggestion that a software firewall
> on the computer running WallWatcher is blocking communication. Some
> software firewalls do that silently, without asking you whether the log
> records or WW should be allowed to use the 'net.  The firewalls have
> Configuration sections that let you change the Permissions for specific
> applications, address, and ports.  The Router should be in your
> "Trusted zone", and anything it sends to port 514 should be allowed to
> reach WW.  Also, WW should be allowed to do DNS lookups (port 53) if
> you want to use the "Convert" options on its Logging menu.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Probably silly Q
    ... And added the -r option to OPTIONS in the syslog file in /etc/sysconfig, SIGHUPed syslogd, and turned the routers ... Firewall on Linux system blocking port 514 protocol UDP? ... Linksys sends snmptraps to the snmptrap port this is a standard service that will listen to this ... Then the answer to the OP would be any snmp monitoring program, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: D-Link 604 and WallWatcher
    ... they were used to add WallWatcher support for that router. ... other people had told me they could not get SysLog style ... and anything it sends to port 514 should be allowed to ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: cisco logging to syslogd? YES :-))
    ... > snip from freebsd mailing list: ... > the sysog port on the remote host. ... This problem might be specific to the freebsd syslogd. ... syslog port is 514 and daemon running on this port uses udp transport. ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: D-Link 604 and WallWatcher
    ... You can disregard my prior message about instructions for using Syslog Port ... you may want to check Duane's suggestion that a software firewall ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)