Re: [Newbie alert!] Is the Linksys BEFSX41 hardware Firewall/router a "real" firewall?

From: Darko Gavrilovic (dgavrilovicAThushmailDOTcom)
Date: 03/28/05

Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 19:37:01 -0600

!!!

Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in news:XLA1e.1859$lq2.52
@fe1.columbus.rr.com:

> you should easily be able to do away with the PFW as long as
> you have at least a NAT Router.

~~~

I personally still prefer a PFW on my windows machines - regardless of what
NAT or FW i have in front of it.

I like to see what programs are trying to connect out without my knowledge.
A PWF has also helped me nail trojans and worms that my AV didn't detect
because of poor signatures. The PFW will alert you when your machine is
trying to connect to strange sites in background. I caught the Palored
trojan that way.

--
"Why do they call it rush hour when nothing moves?", Robin Williams

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Is there a risk with firewalls?
    ... What does PFW stand for? ... Among the many responses I found your explanation and advice most ... It appears that a NAT router is the safest way to protect my or any PC ... there first before the PFW is up and running on the network connection. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: NAT Router
    ... Would I just be better off connecting this computer to a "NAT Router" ... I use a PFW on my laptop when it's not connected to my network. ... Linux machine, because I have a FW appliance that will meet those specs. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Firewall Stealth Mode?
    ... So, if it's a valid test, then why complain when it doesn't ... said that in order of preference I would do it this way: NAT Router, PFW ... Windows Firewall can't? ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Is there a risk with firewalls?
    ... With using a PFW with a machine that has a direct connection to the modem, which will have a direct connection to the Internet, there is the time during the boot process, that unsolicted inbound traffic can get there first before the PFW is up and running on the network connection. ... If the machine is connected to the NAT router, then this vulnerabilty is eliminated if you boot the computer, as it's stopping all unsolicted inbound traffic. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Norton Personall Firewall 2006 Problem
    ... What does it take to configure a NAT router for home usage, ... You wouldn't need a PFW and setting some kind of worthless APP Control rules ... application running on the machine exposed to the Internet. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)