Re: Recommend a free firewall or stick with xp?

From: Siddhartha Jain (losttoy_at_gmail.com)
Date: 03/11/05

Date: 11 Mar 2005 06:39:26 -0800

Gerald Vogt wrote:
> Joe wrote:
> > I agree that with win xp firewall it's plenty. Only if you are a
> > knowledgable user however, one not going to install crummy spyware
> > software and open stupid attachments you know nothing about etc. If
yer
> > somewhat smart then win xp firewall plus a virus program in my
opinion
> > is ok. you just need to be a little smart though.
>
> The problem is that people that are not smart enough install PFWs,
think
> they are invulnerable and don't get smarter at all and just catch all

> the bad stuff anyway and don't even notice it because they have their

> PFW "protecting" them...

I think spyware coming in through ActiveX is a bigger threat than fully
patched but unfirewalled PCs. There are just too many sites trying to
install spyware on your machine and the average user is mostly clueless
about signe/unsigned activex controls and other such IE introduced
threats.

- Siddhartha

Relevant Pages

  • Disregard last Post
    ... Spyware reply under the "Basics" category. ... >>antivirus application in order to get an install to ... >> Windows XP, I suggest you clean up your system ... >firewall can be found ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Ask Windows XP Expert Walter Clayton About Spyware
    ... > what is spyware and how do you get it without installing it? ... Windows XP Home or Windows XP Professional You should ... install several of them, update them regularly and scan with them when you ... by the normal home user and in cooperation with a good firewall, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: popups
    ... If only one solution covered all spyware, then you would be good to go. ... A firewall and disabling the Windows ... Did I mention you have to not only install this software, ...
  • Re: Continuous popup
    ... steps) if they want to make sure their system is not infested with spyware, ... first download download spybot seek & destroy from ... install it, UPDATE it, and RUN it... ... get yourself FIREWALL if you do not have it... ...
  • Re: How do I get rid of this annoying site
    ... One firewall will do also and no more than one ... Next thing is Spyware Blaster is dangerous when you get the updates as not ... Player and Ipod install spyware on your system. ...