Re: Silly router problem

From: Hansang Bae (uonr_at_alp.ee.pbz)
Date: 02/27/05

Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 18:59:28 GMT

||III wrote:

> In article <mail-4D68D7.19275026022005@individual.net>,
> Zoltan <mail@vastag.REMOVE.com> wrote:
>
> > Could someone please tell me what is causing this silly problem:
> >
> > connected through an ISDN router, my mail client can't fetch mails
> > from my mail server (we have a domain hosted by one of the
> > companies). Oddly enough, after i try to connect to the mail server
> > through my browser (and get the message that no website is
> > configured on this address), the mail client is able to connect to
> > the server for several minutes. After that period, it's not
> > possible anymore for the mail client to connect to the mail server
> > (the attempt times-out...) unless i 'open' again the connection
> > with the browser.
> >
> > Both computers, mine and my girlfriend's, are affected (MacOS
> > 10.3.5) by this problem. My knowledge of networking is very basic
> > so i did never mess with the firewall settings on the router -
> > however, the problem is still persistent after reseting the router
> > to factory defaults.
> >
> > Oddly enough, all other trafic, web, ftp, news, IM, is working
> > flawlessly as well as fetching mail from my other mail account on
> > another domain - the problem is only with this one server while
> > connecting to it through our ISDN router (no problems with the same
> > ISP and dial-up connection).
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help or hints.

You're missing some vital info. What hardware? What is the config?
For all I know, you haven't setup your ISDN to trigger on smtp traffic
(what Cisco calls 'interesting' traffic). But w/o the config, we won't
know for sure. Or it could be that your mail program is finicky and
you need to buffer more packets while the ISDN is coming up.

--
hsb