Re: Netbios questions...

From: dak (comp-security-firewalls_at_spamtrap.cjb.net)
Date: 02/20/05

Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 01:08:19 -0600

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 18:19:27 -0800, Kerodo <loopback@localhost.com>
wrote:

>Can someone explain a few things about Netbios for me? I'm running a Win2k
>machine here, no router, connected to the internet via a cable modem. The
>usual software firewalls. I was playing around today and am confused about
>a few things now.

 This might be of some help to you - start at
<http://www.grc.com/su-explain.htm>, which is page 2, and work your way
to page 5, paying especially close attention to pages 4 and 5.
 I think you'll find your explanations/answers there, with some
suggestions/directions on changes you can make.

--
 dak
 My SpywareBlaster Custom Blocking List:

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Obviously you have nothing better to with your life, Larry?
    ... it looks like you spend more time on the internet ... miles away playing a money game with about 20-30 people watching. ... this is how I learned about the death of one my best friends. ... instructional clinics, a forthcoming straight pool dvd, etc. ...
    (rec.sport.billiard)
  • Re: Trying to Get My Home Network Back Up
    ... connected to the Internet port and the 3 PC cables connected to slots one two ... The device is a Linksys Broadband Firewall Router with 4-Port switch and VPN ... > If the device that connects to your cable modem is a router, ...
  • Re: How to get my 2 ethernet cards to work
    ... If you have a cable modem that connects to an ethernet ... which connects to the internet. ... that with the almighty Linux, known to be a network OS, how could it ... > deeply wrong here and I need to fix it before taking a single step ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: IP address
    ... An Internet Service Provider such as RCN has no way of proving an ... If it's a cable modem, ... computer can only be truly identified if logs are kept by the ISP ... This means that any individual with a wireless enabled PC can ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: The REAL ID problem, and solutions
    ... concern isn't just the forums. ... It's one thing to soapbox about the illusion of privicy on the Internet, ... Suddenly everyone knows who you are and chat is constantly flooded with people who want to talk politics instead of playing the game. ... I have heard the argument that a lack of privacy is why celebrities get paid the big bucks -- it is the price of celebrity. ...
    (alt.games.warcraft)