Re: Windows Updates: Firewall setting for outbound traffic

From: smooter (smooter_at_gmail.com)
Date: 02/19/05

Date: 18 Feb 2005 16:14:31 -0800

There is only ONE way to do this the "Right-Way"!

Setup a Microsoft Software Update Services server, or the new Windows
Update Services (still in beta but being distributed...)

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/sus/default.mspx

Then you have ONE server downloading the updates, you get to approve
which ones are deployed throughout your organization, you determine
when the updates are downloaded (both from Microsoft, and from your
SUS/WUS server to your organization), and when they are installed.

Everything is included in the package you download (the AD Policy
snap-in may not be, but they tell you where to get it).

Do yourself a favor and put this in. I use it in my organization and
it works flawlessly!

HTH

Smooter

Relevant Pages

  • RE: WSUS install wont work
    ... after you install Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 or Windows Small ... Small Business Server Update Services Client Computers Policy ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: A fatal error occurred either while synchronizing the Update Services computer groups
    ... I understand that you get Server ... Small Business Server Update Services Client Computers Policy ... | computer groups with Group Policy or while moving the Unassigned ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: Windows Server Update Services 2.0 Error
    ... on the SBS server, then send the generated CAB file to my mailbox ... Microsoft Online Newsgroup Support ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ... Windows Server Update Services 2.0 Error ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: Reinstalled WSUS 3.0 SP1 Now Issues
    ... Your WSUS failed to work after reinstall with the following error: ... The Server Computers group was not found: Update Services Server ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: SUS to WSUS gone astray...
    ... This is a SBS 2003 Standard Edition. ... Stopping SQL Server Services ... Small Business Server Update Services Client Computers Policy ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)