Re: Need recommendations for firewall router.

From: Bob Ladbury (rladbury_at_kittymail.com)
Date: 02/18/05

Date: 17 Feb 2005 20:47:52 -0800

"smooter" <smooter@gmail.com> wrote in message news:<1108677073.459626.132970@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>...
> Bob Ladbury wrote:
> > Would like to get a router to connect a simple two-computer home
> > network using a Ethernet DSL modem. Primarily concerned with
> security;
> > not port jacks or ease of setup. So what's a good, cheap router that
> > has robust firewall / security features?
>
> Bob,
>
> I think everyone has gotten a bit "over technical" with you because
> some valid information is missing from your post/question.
>
> My guess is you have a DSL or Cable Modem connection to your
> "two-computer" network and not a T1 or other "business class" network
> connection. In which case, I think the request for a "router" is
> redundant. What would you need a router for in this configuration?
> Maybe you need one between your two computers. That would seem silly,
> but I have seen sillier! :-)

You're right, but why the need to guess? I wrote in the line you
quoted above that I had a DSL modem, and wanted to set up a simple two
computer *home* network. That would rule out a T1 business setup,
wouldn't it? Why would I need a router,you ask? That's a good
question. That would be because I couldn't get any help in my previous
attempt to set up a simple peer to peer network. Apparently, even the
networking experts are stymied when you ask them to help you set up a
simple 2 computer ad hoc network under Win XP. Several days of trying
to educate myself in networking, researching half-baked articles on
p2p networking from Microsoft and many other sites, all of which left
more questions than they answered, proved fruitless. You're also right
that I was looking into a router simply because I wanted a hardware
firewall. But since everyone I talked to for assistance in setting up
my p2p network -insisted- that I forget about that and use a router
(even though, as you point out, one would hardly need one for 2
computers). I was even 'verbally' attacked on the net, just for
mentioning that I wanted to set up a home network system sans router.

But even though I was sure I could do it, it made little sense for me
to continue with my idea of a simple p2p network, if I was already
going to get a router anyway. Even though I wanted to do it just to
prove everyone wrong, that you -didn't- need a lousy router just to
network a couple o' lousy computers! In any case, I certainly didn't
have $500 professional Cisco routers in mind or complicated
mad-scientist schemes involving hardware firewall emulations using
discarded PCs, floppies and Linux wares, when I posted that I was
looking for a CHEAP router for my *SIMPLE* *HOME* 2-computer network.
The responses were not helpful, but at least they were humourous. When
it gets this crazy, I realize I'm better off just doing my own
research. After this, I whittled it down to 2 *cheap* but *good*
routers, with *robust firewall features* (this means SPI at the very
least); the Netgear RP614 and the D-Link DI-604. Of the two, I picked
the Netgear RP614. (If you want to talk about silly, I also got one
for my friend. He only has one computer). Cost? $19.99 CDN. (down from
$60. Staples had a sale, $40 rebate....). See? It's not as complicated
as it seems....

> Sonicwall, Watchguard, PIX, Checkpoint SOHO, etc. all good products.
> BUT they have subscription licenses based annually for updates (and you
> simply MUST continue to update your firewall, whichever you decide
> on..). So unless your "cheap" statement actually meant somewhere in
> the neighborhood of $350+ initial and around 40% of that annually
> afterwards then you need to be looking at a personal firewall (software
> on the machines), or an open source solution.

> I hate to sound like a broken record, but m0n0wall will do you MORE
> than fine (http://m0n0.ch/wall). Install it on an old small PC, plug
> the WAN interface into the cable modem, and then plug your pc's into a
> hub that is connected to the LAN interface on the firewall. Setup your
> rules and your off and running! Total cost: 0$ (as long as you have
> an old cheap PC laying around that your doing nothing with).

> Just my humble opinion, and many appologies if a assumed incorrectly!
>
> Good Luck!
>
> Smooter

Relevant Pages

  • Re: share my printer between 2 computers and surf with 2 computers at same time
    ... The main choice you have to make is whether to have the router include wireless capability or not. ... Because wireless routers for home use are relatively inexpensive these days, I'd suggest buying a wireless router even if you don't initially intend to use that capability. ... If you already have a UTP cable going between upstairs and downstairs, you can use that to have a wired network. ... caused by 1) a misconfigured firewall; ...
  • Re: share my printer between 2 computers and surf with 2 computers at same time
    ... The main piece of hardware you need to buy is a router. ... Because wireless routers for home use are ... you can use that to have a wired network. ... caused by 1) a misconfigured firewall; ...
  • RE: [Full-Disclosure] Re: January 15 is Personal Firewall Day, help the cause
    ... the>outside world which are in response to packets originating from ... to drop in a little Trojan, your whole network can be compromised. ... NAT router works at Layer 3. ... You still need a personal firewall or ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: MSN WORKGROUP
    ... before my router is excess the folder very quickly suddenly it excess the ... Pls guide me how can i make it again this network. ... xp or firewall., secondly i can not find my wirefall optopn in control panel ... Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally ...
    ... block my ip address vista windows ... change public ip address linksys router ... setting up a network ip address ... warcraft server ip address ...
    (sci.misc)