Re: Avast or Zone Alarm using proxy server?

From: Martin (vk2umj_at_yahoo.com.invalid)
Date: 02/17/05


Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:45:30 +1100


"Gerald Vogt" <vogt@spamcop.net> wrote in message
news:4212efc8$0$972$44c9b20d@news2.asahi-net.or.jp...
> Martin wrote:
>> Well, there's my point! Everything here is set for auto-update and even
>> that doesn't work properly!!!!!
>
> Exactly! Because you don't want to care about it. You just want to do
> anything you want and somebody or something else should prevent any
> evil...
>
> Gerald

No, I just expect programs that make a certain claim to live up to that
claim - oh, hang on, isn't that YOUR point???

I run Zone Alarm Pro (because Windows XP SP2 Firewall wasn't doing the job I
wanted or needed it to do), Ad-Aware and Spybot, and Avast Pro, all of which
update regularly as does Windows XP using auto-update. On top of that all
computers run behind a router anyway. Unless I know they are coming,
attachments in e-mails are deleted or just not loaded off the server, and I
don't just download anything and run it just for the hell of it!!

I think you can say I don't just sit back and hope everything is OK and
certainly don't just rely on any of the above to do the job for me - I am
constantly monitoring things, checking logs, installing updates, etc.
However I still like the extra features that ZA offers above what Windows FW
does, and so far I have found ZA works far better with other things than WFW
seems to! As I said, I turned off WFW and went back to ZA because even
after SP2 it still failed to protect in some ways (don't ask me to remember
full details, I really can't be bothered that much)... Yes, ZA does require
more user intervention that WFW does, but as many have told you they seem to
prefer to have that extra feature....



Relevant Pages

  • Re: Avast or Zone Alarm using proxy server?
    ... "Gerald Vogt" wrote in message ... I run Zone Alarm Pro (because Windows XP SP2 Firewall wasn't doing the job I ... However I still like the extra features that ZA offers above what Windows FW ... and so far I have found ZA works far better with other things than WFW ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Avast or Zone Alarm using proxy server?
    ... "Gerald Vogt" wrote in message ... I run Zone Alarm Pro (because Windows XP SP2 Firewall wasn't doing the job I ... However I still like the extra features that ZA offers above what Windows FW ... and so far I have found ZA works far better with other things than WFW ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Mix of stuff....
    ... >> I would definitely argue that comparing WfW and NT is unfair. ... Windows 2000 = NT 5.0 ... CPU and 256 MB RAM. ... be considered part of my machine park. ...
    (comp.lang.pascal.delphi.misc)
  • Re: Avast or Zone Alarm using proxy server?
    ... "Gerald Vogt" wrote in message ... > your PFW is configured to allow outgoing web browser traffic. ... ZA still does more than Windows FW. ... programs have internet access whereas Windows FW just lets them loose!! ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Avast or Zone Alarm using proxy server?
    ... "Gerald Vogt" wrote in message ... > your PFW is configured to allow outgoing web browser traffic. ... ZA still does more than Windows FW. ... programs have internet access whereas Windows FW just lets them loose!! ...
    (comp.security.misc)