Re: Can't connect via VNC from work to home

From: Somebody (somebody_at_nospam.russdoucet.com)
Date: 02/15/05

Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:30:15 -0500

"Charles Newman" <charlesnewman1@comcast.net.spammers.will.be.shot.on.sight>
wrote in message news:crSdnc7EcveBJ4zfRVn-pQ@comcast.com...

> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
> > On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 19:26:46 -0500, Somebody wrote:
> >

> >> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message

> >> I'm interested to know what risks are incurred by remote controlling a
> >> machine at home, from within the corporate LAN. That's what the OP was
> >> trying to do.
> >
> > Some remote control programs allow people to move files through the
> > connection, while VNC doesn't allow files specifically, there is no
reason
> > that they could not email a file from their personal computer to their
> > work account. There are a number of apps, like PcAnywhere, etc... that
> > allow it, also if they setup a small web-server in their home and access
> > that to get files it's a threat - the home environment is best described
> > as the Wild-West where anything goes, the corporate environment is
> > controlled, monitored, and better protected.
>
> Well, Remote Desktop can be restricted so that no file transfers
> between the two machines are possible, and that client machine
> is no more than a dumb terminal to the hosting machine. IT can
> tweak Remote Desktop on the PCs, so a connection in either
> direction will not allow transfer of any files.

VNC not RDP is the topic.

-Russ.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Windows Independant GUI
    ... Remote Desktop Connection spawns another "virutal desktop" under the account credentials you specify. ... If VNC is running as a system service it still means that you will be connecting to the Administrator account. ... After compromising Windows workstations I am able to gain a remote GUI via either Terminal Services, VNC, GetScreen, etc. ... However, this remote access gives me access to the user's GUI, which limits me to using the GUI when they seem to have left for lunch. ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: Remote Desktop
    ... Just so everyone is clear, the built in remote desktop in Dapper, as far ... as I can tell is VNC (VNC allows remote connections to the mashine, ... with the slowness and I use an SSH tunnel the VNC connection to VNC. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: remote matlab via ssh mac-to-mac with gui
    ... according to apple, one can run remote aqua applications, but code ... and start up a vnc viewer (e.g. Chicken of the VNC or apple's remote ... desktop) and connect to the mac2 vnc server. ... added benefit that you can break the connection between mac1 and mac2 ...
    (comp.soft-sys.matlab)
  • Re: Do I need a VPN?
    ... across a 3G connection. ... Schedule an outbound connect to your SSH server on the remote PC. ... port to a particular remote port. ... port 5900 and forwarding to 5901 (the VNC ports) ...
    (uk.telecom.broadband)
  • [opensuse] Re: Remote desktop
    ... Remote Desktop is what I should have said ... the manual I was reading says vnc connections are not ... I did exactly what you said to do and the connection was refused. ... This connects to the local system on port 5910, ...
    (SuSE)