Re: Outpost/Win95 conflict

From: Lee (
Date: 02/14/05

Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 16:34:45 -0600

David Dalton wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:41:13 -0330, David Dalton <>
> wrote:
>>On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 18:42:27 -0000, bassbag
>><> wrote:
>>>In article <>,
>>>see thread here...
>>But the Windows Sockets Update is no longer available at
>> where that thread points to so I found
>>an alternate download site at
>>and am downloading it now and will report back here in a followup
> It solved the missing aupdate.dll problem but not the
> problems with hanging on shutting down and thus requiring
> scandisk to run on next startup. Thus there appear
> to be two separate problems I guess, and the
> aupdate.dll problem is unrelated to the shutting down
> problems. I think this box is running basic Windows 95
> (probably second release) except I installed some Windows
> Security Patches a few months ago. Obviously I would
> get a newer box except I am poor currently and only
> need it for an hour a day at most of e-mail and newsgroup
> access and a bit of html editing with a text editor on occasion.
> Also it is my niece's second box, she has an XP machine
> out of town and uses this one only on weekends for hotmail
> and MSN Chat.
> If I can't solve the problem with shutting down I will
> uninstall Outpost FREE and try something else,
> maybe even a cheap commercial version (though
> these commercial versions do not state up front
> they do not run with Windows 95 so if you download
> one and find it does not then you have to apply
> for a refund as I did with Kerio), by the weekend.
> Thanks for your advice, those who have replied
> so far.
> David

Regardless of which firewall app you have, get in the
habit of telling windows to shutdown to the dos prompt.

If/when it does that successfully, use the power switch
to turn it off.

No more auto-scandisk as windows thinks it was shutdown

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Lost My Desktop
    ... Some of this does not apply if you have Windows XP SP2. ... Make sure of these settings and nothing will install without you ... Enable Install On Demand (Internet Explorer) ... [[Specifies to automatically download and install Web components if a Web ...
  • Re: Spyware possible being on one account and not the other
    ... > the browser in the guest account is jacked to some site. ... using Windows XP "prettifications". ... If you want to know when one of your applications is trying to obtain ... are pay - some you can only download if you are registered - but it is best ...
  • Re: 16 Bit Error
    ... Something was wrong with the download. ... was just lumped in with whatever the Repair Install did. ... MS-MVP Windows Shell/User ... sure that the directory path exists, and disk space is available. ...
  • Re: [opensuse] Re: why /var/run and /run these two directories have absolutely the same contents?
    ... look and feel to Windows anyway; ... all or specific folders to download from the IMAP server to a local ...
  • Re: FTC Complaint filed
    ... There is no way to limit what M$ wants to install on your system because they hide the descriptions, ... And they don't need that particular download at all to put more copy protection code on your pc. ... I have long said, in my opinion and pre-Vista, that Windows 95 was the best OS Microsoft ever made. ... should be with your PCB software maker. ...