Re: Can't connect via VNC from work to home

From: Michael J. Pelletier (mjpelletier_at_mjpelletier.com)
Date: 02/13/05

Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 23:13:00 -0800

Grosby wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been trying various versions of VNC (VNC, TightVNC, UltraVNC) to
> connect to my home PC from work -- with no success. Every version reports
> that it can't connect, and I get a "10061 Connection Refused" error. This
> occurs whether I use the various "VNC Viewer" apps -or- the Java-based
> applet from within my workplace's web browser.
>
> At home, I did NOT have any firewalls running during the tests, so that
> can't be the problem. Further proof of this is the fact that even when
> I have ZoneAlarm ON, I can still connect UltraVNC to a friend's PC (and
> vice versa) with no problems. The problem is NOT due to my home PC not
> accepting incoming connections (eg. no "incoming prompt" timing out, etc).
>
> So... it appears my workplace has a firewall in place that is preventing
> the outgoing connection to my home. Any ideas on how I can get this
> working? I'll be using UltraVNC as I like that app the best. My work
> PC runs Win 2K Pro, and at home I have Win XP Pro with the Windows
> Firewall disabled but ZoneAlarm running.
>
> Thanks for any ideas! :)

1) First find a port that is allowed outgoing (not via a application layer
proxy).

2) Change your server's VNC port to that port. (Could be FTP, HTTP, HTTPS
(this is a good one to check as some web proxies can not handle https well)

I am now going to slap myself since I am a corp security guy...

P.S. A word of warning. As I told you how to do it. When I find people doing
these things to try to bypass my security (and I do check; Daily). I DO
HAVE THEM FIRED. Serious. Make sure it is really worth it...You know losing
your job trying to look cool...and oh ya that unemployment thing suck
too...

--- Michael

Relevant Pages

  • Cant connect via VNC from work to home
    ... I've been trying various versions of VNC to ... and I get a "10061 Connection Refused" error. ... I can still connect UltraVNC to a friend's PC (and ... and at home I have Win XP Pro with the Windows Firewall ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Gnome-RDP scrolling
    ... Anyone know of a way to enable a VNC so I can access the login screen? ... apply updates & reboot I can have the UltraVNC ... That way I can log into the admin mode ... etc., perform my updates, then reboot & login at the user mode and leave ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • RE: VNC Security
    ... we had a pretty long running and informative thread on VNC ... The only VNC that had real encryption built in was the ... it was very difficult to deploy the UltraVNC ... encryption changes anyone's view on the security of VNC. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: [9fans] 9vx Patches
    ... * Automatic provisioning via a web browser. ... I guess -- otherwise it's just VNC). ... Unable to connect to VNC server ...
    (comp.os.plan9)
  • Re: remote connection from XP to 2000
    ... The nice thing about UltraVNC, versus other flavors of VNC, is that it comes with an encryption ... By design VNC is not natively encrypted presenting a potential security risk if used over ... Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking) ...