Re: Can't connect via VNC from work to home

From: Duane Arnold (Notme_at_Notme.com)
Date: 02/12/05

    Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 22:03:50 GMT

    "Grosby" <g@r.o.s.b.y> wrote in message news:420df314$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been trying various versions of VNC (VNC, TightVNC, UltraVNC) to
    > connect to my home PC from work -- with no success. Every version reports
    > that it can't connect, and I get a "10061 Connection Refused" error. This
    > occurs whether I use the various "VNC Viewer" apps -or- the Java-based
    > applet from within my workplace's web browser.
    >
    > At home, I did NOT have any firewalls running during the tests, so that
    > can't be the problem. Further proof of this is the fact that even when
    > I have ZoneAlarm ON, I can still connect UltraVNC to a friend's PC (and
    > vice versa) with no problems. The problem is NOT due to my home PC not
    > accepting incoming connections (eg. no "incoming prompt" timing out, etc).
    >
    > So... it appears my workplace has a firewall in place that is preventing
    > the outgoing connection to my home. Any ideas on how I can get this
    > working? I'll be using UltraVNC as I like that app the best. My work
    > PC runs Win 2K Pro, and at home I have Win XP Pro with the Windows
    > Firewall
    > disabled but ZoneAlarm running.
    >
    > Thanks for any ideas! :)

    They are not going to let you make contact with your home network in such a
    non-secure manner. If you do find some other software that's going to
    allow you to connect out on port 80 to your home network, they will know
    about it too. Network Security doesn't take it lightly that someone at the
    job is trying to put the company's network into a compromising position
    such as what you're trying to do and will come down on you hard about it.
    You should abandon this and do what the company is paying you to do, which I
    don't think is you trying to make contact with your non secure home network
    that could lead to a compromise of the company's network.

    Duane :)

    • Cant connect via VNC from work to home
      ... I've been trying various versions of VNC to ... and I get a "10061 Connection Refused" error. ... I can still connect UltraVNC to a friend's PC (and ... and at home I have Win XP Pro with the Windows Firewall ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: workgroup not visible
      ... "online" with my home network. ... there are no differences--I installed the same virus and firewall (norton AV ... I have tried changing the names of the computers, disabling firewalls and ... this article with an open mind. ...
    • Re: Need Alternative to Norton
      ... Panda Titanium 2006 includes TruPrevent technologies ... >> I use Free AVG and Windows XP firewall. ... > occasionally for sharing of files in my home network. ...
      (microsoft.public.security)
    • Re: Home net fine. Added a router... cant share files or printers
      ... traffic, therefore, in case you have sp2 installed on your XP computers, ... In case of Norton firewall and NIS, ... With regard to the remote desktop connection, go to the router settings page ... Settings up exceptions in Windows firewall for home network: ...
    • Hard Drive keeps filling up
      ... This is on my home network. ... Windows XP, 2.8G, Broadband connected, with 802.11g Linksys wireless router. ... I have 3 firewalls running on it, zonelabs, tiny and the firewall included ... because she had been instant messaging and some putz came on and ...
      (Security-Basics)