Can't connect via VNC from work to home

From: Grosby (g_at_r.o.s.b.y)
Date: 02/12/05

Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 23:14:23 +1100

Hi,

I've been trying various versions of VNC (VNC, TightVNC, UltraVNC) to
connect to my home PC from work -- with no success. Every version reports
that it can't connect, and I get a "10061 Connection Refused" error. This
occurs whether I use the various "VNC Viewer" apps -or- the Java-based
applet from within my workplace's web browser.

At home, I did NOT have any firewalls running during the tests, so that
can't be the problem. Further proof of this is the fact that even when
I have ZoneAlarm ON, I can still connect UltraVNC to a friend's PC (and
vice versa) with no problems. The problem is NOT due to my home PC not
accepting incoming connections (eg. no "incoming prompt" timing out, etc).

So... it appears my workplace has a firewall in place that is preventing
the outgoing connection to my home. Any ideas on how I can get this
working? I'll be using UltraVNC as I like that app the best. My work
PC runs Win 2K Pro, and at home I have Win XP Pro with the Windows Firewall
disabled but ZoneAlarm running.

Thanks for any ideas! :)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Remote access PC support
    ... >>You can always tunnel the VNC connection through SSH. ... Naturally, if you do not have a firewall box to SSH into first, ... Double click PuTTY and enter the hostname or IP of your firewall ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: SSH port forwarding/tunneling question
    ... > firewall which filters out incoming ssh, ... > the ssh client being the VNC server, and the ssh server being the ... I'm hoping I can just set up a putty connection at ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Cant connect via VNC from work to home
    ... > I've been trying various versions of VNC to ... I can still connect UltraVNC to a friend's PC (and ... it appears my workplace has a firewall in place that is preventing ... allow you to connect out on port 80 to your home network, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Firewall for broadband connection
    ... A personal firewall application that runs on your computer will often be ... it clearly needs user intervention to apply updates. ... IP address, then VNC is a simple way to do ... I install VNC, even in a protected network, I always change the port ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Remote Desktop Connection
    ... You can try a free two user version of SSL-Explorer to try it out. ... SSL-Explorer also supports a web based RDC and VNC access to desktop PCs on your network. ... OpenVPN is completely free like SSH. ... What if i have a linkys WiFi router, and does not have vpn feature, how could i secure the connection? ...