Can't connect via VNC from work to home

From: Grosby (g_at_r.o.s.b.y)
Date: 02/12/05

Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 23:14:23 +1100

Hi,

I've been trying various versions of VNC (VNC, TightVNC, UltraVNC) to
connect to my home PC from work -- with no success. Every version reports
that it can't connect, and I get a "10061 Connection Refused" error. This
occurs whether I use the various "VNC Viewer" apps -or- the Java-based
applet from within my workplace's web browser.

At home, I did NOT have any firewalls running during the tests, so that
can't be the problem. Further proof of this is the fact that even when
I have ZoneAlarm ON, I can still connect UltraVNC to a friend's PC (and
vice versa) with no problems. The problem is NOT due to my home PC not
accepting incoming connections (eg. no "incoming prompt" timing out, etc).

So... it appears my workplace has a firewall in place that is preventing
the outgoing connection to my home. Any ideas on how I can get this
working? I'll be using UltraVNC as I like that app the best. My work
PC runs Win 2K Pro, and at home I have Win XP Pro with the Windows Firewall
disabled but ZoneAlarm running.

Thanks for any ideas! :)