Re: Home network: 2nd router not working

From: E. (loony_at_aliensmoke.org)
Date: 01/26/05

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 06:18:00 +1100

Steven Nagy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Firstly, sorry if this is in the wrong group. I tried to post to
> comp.networks but apparently it is now archived. Couldn't find any
> other groups network related.
>
> I have this problem where I have ADSL (working fine). I am connecting
> with a Netcomm NB1300PLUS4 which is a 4 port router. The router also
> runs a DHCP server. All computers plugged directly into the router can
> communicate fine.
>
> I have a second router which is connected to the first router. But I
> can not get it talking with the first router.
>
> The second router is a Netgear wgr614v2 (wireless + 4 port). How can I
> make it so that the second router and any device connected to it (wired
> or wireless) is included on the network? I have disabled its DHCP
> server, but am not sure what settings to give its WAN ip and LAN ip.
> WAN ip can be DHCPed but LAN ip has to be hardcoded, so I've given it a
> 192.168.1.100 address (where router 1 is IP 192.168.1.1 and the DHCP
> range is 192.168.1.10 to 192.168.1.90).
>
> At first I thought I had my cables incorrect, but its a standard patch
> lead going from a standard port from Router 1 to the UPLINK port on
> ROUTER 2. This seems to be correct because router 1 has an information
> page which says it has learned MAC addresses, of which 1 is the address
> of router 2, so I think the cables are fine. Link lights are all
> positive indicators as well.
>
> I have a feeling I might have to do something with route tables? But I
> have no idea about this stuff, so would appreciate any help any one can
> give me.
>
> Many thanks,
> Steven Nagy

Set the WAN IP of the netgear to 192.168.1.100. Set the LAN IP of the
netgeare to 192.168.2.1. Disable NAT.
Set the Netgear to the 192.168.2.x/24 range. Add a route in the Netcomm
to 192.168.2.x via 192.168.1.100

This *should* work, but it depends on whether the netgear can function
as just a router rather than a NAT + WAN connecter.
E.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Need To See All PCs/Notebook On My LAN
    ... connecting through the WAN port. ... >>I have a network setup with a Motorola SB 5100 Cable Modem, then a Netgear ... >>to the D-Link router. ...
  • Re: P2P networking, mixed media configuration
    ... The Belkin Lan port was connected to the WAN/Internet port of the Netgear... ... I read Steve Winograd's comments in another post about connecting Lan port to ... Lan port and disabling the DHCP on the wireless router. ...
  • Netgear WGR614AU problems
    ... I just bought a Netgear WGR614AU wireless router with two Netgear WG311GE ... other PC with the WG311ge wireless PCI. ... I'm in Melbourne Australia connecting to Telstra Bigpond cable. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Problems with Be
    ... Will any adsl modem pick up Be's signal and show as connected without changing any settings, or will we have to connect it to the pc and phone Be to get their settings first? ... I use a NETGEAR DG834GT for connecting to BE, you could pick one up from pc world, with the right firmaware it is better than the be box. ... The settings are ADSL setting page of the router. ...
    (uk.telecom.broadband)
  • configuring a Linksys to work behind a Netgear
    ... I have a NetGear CG814WG modem/router connected to my ISP, ... I need to put a Linksys WRT54GL behind my NetGear router and my ... PC_&_Vonage ATA 'landline' box behind the Linksys ... my computer and ATA box are connecting to) "broadcasting" a different ...