Re: ZoneAlarm blocks FTP apps

From: Jason Edwards (none1_at_invalid.invalid)
Date: 01/26/05

Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 18:43:12 -0000

"Melvin Klassen" <Klassen@UVic.CA> wrote in message
news:edkDsTLBzWmk-pn2-RZ7sBbdCS7vl@localhost...
> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:30:58, "Jason Edwards" <none1@invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>
> > If I remember correctly ZA has at least four types of permission for
each program.
> > There's connect to the local zone (or is it called trusted zone now?),
> > connect to the Internet, act as a server to the local zone and act as a
> > server to the Internet.
> > How do these relate to the direction of the data flow?
>
> Compare the trusted zone to the occupants of your house.
> You trust them to access your telephone and computer and refrigerator
> and not to "trash" the house.

Um not at my house. Not all of them anyway :)

> They can enter your house (your trusted zone) at any time,
> and graze at your refrigerator door (your "server") and dial-out from
> your telephone (another server).
>
> People not in your trusted zone don't have those privileges while
> inside your house.
> You probably block them at the entrance, if/when they try to come "in"
> to your house.

The purpose of the question was to help me find out whether or not "Reader"
knows anything about what the firewall he trusts actually does.

Jason

Relevant Pages

  • Re: ZoneAlarm blocks FTP apps
    ... act as a server to the local zone and act as a ... > server to the Internet. ... Compare the trusted zone to the occupants of your house. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: The Future of Backing Up & Drobo-like Technologies
    ... I can't imagine returning to a wired network. ... When we moved in a couple years ago we had to have a lot of work done, so I hired an electrician to run CAT6 throughout the house with everything going to a closet (that had been a wet bar. ... The other is a server for everything else on the internal network, but it's not doing file serving, though I have plans for it being a MySQL or Postgres server and also a web and chat proxy when my daughter gets old enough that I'll want to openly snoop on her activity.Anyway, I've got these two servers. ... That is, I'm only interested in the two way communication, so I would like her to feel free to visit and read websites free from me or my wife snooping. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: Anybody Running SBS 2003 At Home??
    ... I've always Wanted a 5K Natural Gas Generator at my house ... Costco had them for $5,000.00 (Plus Installation of course) ... They do sell a HOUSE Voltage Spike thing for your house that you can put ... >> Sounds good but from the other guy maybe you need a IBM Blade server? ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Oops! KOZT
    ... put a server in someone's house that records the show and makes the MP3 ... I have a NAS drive with a web server in it. ... hours of audio (to account for KOZT's shifting of the exact times ...
    (rec.music.dementia)
  • Re: Turn off imacs screen but leave the mac on? (NOT sleeping?)
    ... original post. ... I want it to run as a server, so when I leave the house, I want the ... mac to stay on and the screen to go off. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)