Re: Linux PC cannot ping, but Windows can?

From: Eirik Seim (eirik_at_mi.uib.no)
Date: 01/23/05

Date: 23 Jan 2005 15:00:07 GMT

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 00:35:27 -0500, Arthur Hagen wrote:
> Moe Trin <ibuprofin@painkiller.example.tld> wrote:
> >
> > None of my systems do PMTU on pings.
>
> SuSE seems to [...]

And so does all Linux or similar systems who use kuznetsov's
iputils (ftp://ftp.tux.org/people/alexey-kuznetsov/ip-routing).
NetKit used to be popular in the late nineties, but I don't know
if any major distro uses it these days. I know it's in Debians
apt system, but I don't know if its in the default install.

Inconsistencies like these are (part) of why I prefer *BSD over
Linux for my open source needs.

--
New and exciting signature!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Telnet: route to host
    ... > Shortsighted idiot linux developers are destroying the world. ... traceroutes simply stopped somewhere in the ISPs network. ... support line enlightened us to the fact that they block pings so as to break ... I see regular attacks on my machine, ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)
  • Re: Linux is impossibly complicated
    ... more manufacturers will support it and the ball starts ... I am happy what Linux is ... > You're wrong, if Linux won't be doing to be more popular as it is now, it ... > any other hard core distribution;) ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Security reason for Win 98?
    ... > Purl Gurl wrote: ... No pings allowed here! ... Linux was rather unstable, compared to Win, ... Have to add this, last night a momma skunk, a resident ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: .NET Framework one of a kind and regaining M$ the programmers trust?
    ... > programmers, so I would like to confirm my fears by posting here. ... writing SMB and FAT32 modules just to maintain interoperability. ... more popular Linux will be. ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: How innovative is Linux?
    ... There are already more than enough operating systems available that are ... E.g. a good combination of less popular than Linux and a very good ... There had been need of rain for many days. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)