Re: Hardware Firewall Articles?

From: Wolfgang Kueter (wolfgang_at_shconnect.de)
Date: 01/20/05

Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 23:56:28 +0100

Jeff Gaines wrote:

> I have temporarily installed Norton Personal Firewall on all 4 PC's to
> give me some protection,

crap.

> but this is not really a long term solution.

THe deinstallation of the crap might be one-

> I have one PC, a 2.4GHz P4, that I could use as a h/w firewall,
> presumably with Linux rather than Windows for extra security.

What do you want to filter with that? Gigabit ethernet with hundreds of
machines on both sides of the box? A 2.4 GHz CPU is even more than complete
overkill for that purpose, an old 486 will do for that.

Wolfgang

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Linux users CRYING cause they dont have STEAM! PATHETIC!!!!
    ... But I agree that most of them are crap, especially personal firewalls are a pure waste of ressources. ... At work we develop embedded/rugged applications for both Windows and Linux, and Linux undoubtly has a lot of advantages in several aeras. ... As to the server market, Windows Server is gaining market share back from Linux. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action)
  • Re: Why I use Linux
    ... > writing crap Windows applications will be writing for Linux instead. ... I see your point about crap writers. ... It would take a while to persuade Windows ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Why I use Linux
    ... > writing crap Windows applications will be writing for Linux instead. ... I see your point about crap writers. ... It would take a while to persuade Windows ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: multifunction printer/scanner nuisance
    ... >> more user friendly but hugely crap in other ways. ... But she is more comfortable using linux than windows to do her email, ... ordinary home users would NEVER have to use ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Knoppix CD just goes to webpages?
    ... This Linux thing is crap. ... Why do you think Linux is crap? ... >Windows is not really a choice unless you have thourougly tried ... Most "Windows Users" treat ...
    (alt.os.linux)