Re: Firewalls cause constant disk writes?

From: Bas Keur (bas.keur_at_dmrt.net)
Date: 01/15/05

Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 23:04:24 +0100

> With Sygate free I get disk writes every 5 seconds on average. I have
> logging turned off. If I exit Sygate and use Windows XP SP2 Firewall, they
> stop. The same seems to happen with Zone Alarm free. Do all firewalls tend
> to do this?
> Pat.

You being the only one using it ? Hell no.
It should (or it's pure crap) have some sort of setting
where you can define a memory buffer. Try 32MB,
should be enough for a 12 hours IO free system.

Then again, i'm not familiar with those `home products`, what
I do know about these firewalls is that they have a reputation
that prevent them from being taken `seriously` :)

I think the XP-SP2 does a better job handeling IO since those
Zone alarm & Sygate are applications that need to `talk` to
windows trough some sort of API. (Unlike FW-1 for ex.)

BIG-Note: This is just me speculating.....

--
] Bas Keur
] `Energizer Bunny arrested, charged with battery`

Relevant Pages

  • Port 80
    ... SyGate version 5 - free version, ... computer name Stealth from a ping. ... not be done through windows settings. ... Select SP1a from Windows Update area and install. ...
  • Nutty idea?
    ... The freeware software firewalls have improved much over the last year. ... I tested and found that Sygate Personal now isn't fooled by any of the ... Windows, I think I may have a nice little self-check of Sygate ... my DSL is invoked at Windows boot and ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Nutty idea?
    ... > The freeware software firewalls have improved much over the last year. ... Sygate alerts me with just a little timed ... > Windows, I think I may have a nice little self-check of Sygate ... my DSL is invoked at Windows boot and ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Alternative to Kerio 2.1.5 with easy interface?
    ... of my Sygate PFW. ... I have used all the MS O/Sincluding Vista too. ... I did have to dump Windows ME that crash prone piece of crap that crashed and rebooted itself on my laptop that was wireless every time a car or truck drove by putting out heavy frequencies. ... And I'll tell you right now that the ME O/S cannot do everything a NT classed O/S can do. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: 2 questions to Sygate firewall users
    ... >> Sygate offers strong security as a firewall for most users. ... > Sygate does install system services which open Windows. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)