Re: How to bypass blocked ports

From: Charles Newman (charlesnewman1_at_comcast.net.spammers.will.be.shot.on.sight)
Date: 01/05/05

Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 15:04:58 -0800

"CyberDroog" <CyberDroog@ClockworkOrange.com> wrote in message
news:na0mt0dd7m4l3j3dh2ckr6lugpp4tqhoa4@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 11:53:12 -0800, "Charles Newman"
> <charlesnewman1@comcast.net.spammers.will.be.shot.on.sight> wrote:
>
> > The weather update, which is probably what
> >you are referring to, contacts Microsoft via
> >HTTP on port 80. That would be unusual that
> >anything at Microsoft would be blocked on
> >your network. Any network admin worth
> >their salt would not block ANYTHING
> >from Microsoft, because if he did, he would
> >be blocking all security updates from Windows
> >as well.
>
> I, and lots of admins I know, block Microsoft sites, especially the
Windows
> Update site. Security updates can be downloaded and placed on the local
> server.

   Wouldnt it be easier to just let your users download
security updates directly from Microsoft? It would
sure save you a lot of work if you did.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Microsoft need to be held accountable!
    ... I believe they really are doing the best they can at Microsoft. ... It would help however if people started to skip any driver updates from MS ... system affected the same way by this weeks security updates, ... doing with the list of commands to un-install the offending update. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Microsoft need to be held accountable!
    ... I believe they really are doing the best they can at Microsoft. ... It would help however if people started to skip any driver updates from MS ... and would be more careful installing any updates by not blindly doing so as ... system affected the same way by this weeks security updates, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: As the World Turns
    ... even care about anything that Microsoft says they need. ... Security Updates but they do NOT say please read the Readme first. ... > George Hester ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: device drivers
    ... > does any one know how i can find out what drivers are in my system, ... Microsoft has these suggestions for Protecting your computer from the ... I'll mainly work around Windows XP, as that is what the bulk of this ... How to configure and use Automatic Updates in Windows XP ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Intermittant GPO failure to apply
    ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ... any updates in your thread. ... | SetNtUserPolTime, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)