Re: Whats the best to use?

From: Wolfgang Kueter (wolfgang_at_shconnect.de)
Date: 12/28/04

Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 22:57:29 +0100

thejackle85@hotmail.com wrote:

> I am currently using Trend PC-Cillin, and love it. It has never let me
> down. But I want to begin using firewalls

Why?

> for security purposes

Define 'security purposess'!

> and found that I am not satisfied with Trends. I was looking to use
> ZoneAlarm Security Suite, but found that the reviews on it were not all
> that great. A friend of mine belongs to a group and they all use
> McAfee, except two of em use Norton. So right not I am trying to
> figure out what to do?

- Use Brain 1.0
- Define you needs, define potential threats, look for tools to overcome
these. A properly configured system does not need suspect third party
tools. Lock down your box, done.

> Should I stick with Trend, and find a stand
> alone firewall, or switch to another virus scan all together like
> Norton or McAfee?

You should simply use BRAIN 1.0 or above.

Wolfgang

Relevant Pages

  • Re: virus?
    ... > to my network and clogging it up. ... I have norton antivirus, ... this traffic, Kerio, Zone-Alarm and similar products should be ... But neither firewalls nor anti virus tasks can see the difference ...
  • Re: Internet Access trapped by Norton etal
    ... I know what your saying about the Norton dialog. ... At least some security software can be configured to allow specific ... If they do not configure their firewalls correctly, ... software firewalls must be configured to allow a specific connection to a specific site, ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)
  • Re: zonealarm or norton
    ... | I'm running XP Home edition, which came with an OEM version of Norton ... It sounds to me as if your OEM version was actually the 30-day ... copy of NIS 2002, but not for any sort of annual 'renewal' fee. ... If you don't like that idea, and you understand rules-based firewalls, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: zonealarm or norton
    ... | I'm running XP Home edition, which came with an OEM version of Norton ... It sounds to me as if your OEM version was actually the 30-day ... copy of NIS 2002, but not for any sort of annual 'renewal' fee. ... If you don't like that idea, and you understand rules-based firewalls, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: FYI: Security Problems Plague XP SP2 via Symantec/McAfee
    ... I think you must give firewalls some trust ... Symantec (Norton) products do not remove the ... This is the main reason I stopped buying their software since ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)