Re: firewall vendors demanding support contract for software downloads

From: Alex Hunsley (lard_at_tardis.ed.ac.molar.uk)
Date: 12/17/04

Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 09:10:22 GMT

Leythos wrote:
> In article <YWpwd.43217$tg2.37319@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
> lard@tardis.ed.ac.molar.uk says...
>
>>Imagine I buy a new firewall tomorrow and don't plan to extend the
>>support/service contract after the default period. Am I supposed to
>>trawl their site and download every single last file available just in
>>case I might need it a few years down the road?
>

> Since that's how its been for more than 5 years that I can remember,
> YES.
>
> Since your firewall doesn't really need the updated software, since it
> does what it does when you purchased it, then you got what you paid for.
> In most cases, with few exceptions, the firewall updates are only to add
> features, which were not there when you bought the thing.

Drivers aside, I'm thinking of utilities and associated software such as
VPN clients.

> Oh, and you can't really compare Firmware and Interface software for a
> Firewall to a driver for a video card.

It appears to be the case...

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Mouse Drivers
    ... Don't use any drivers for it from http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/. ... go to logitech's web site - etc. Download the latest drivers and install ... using Windows XP "prettifications". ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • Re: problems with the internet and etc.?
    ... If you have the XP firewall turned on or use any of the many free firewalls, ... If your system is clear of viruses, open Control Panel, open System, go to ... If you do not have an XP CD, you can download this application ... Check for the latest drivers for your hardware, ...
  • Re: XP Pro
    ... Using 98 can I still load the XP drivers? ... Whoever told you Windows XP would load its own drivers was smoking crack. ... name from there) and download the latest driver for Windows 2000/XP. ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: WindowsXP slower after reinstall.
    ... Did you install the drivers for your motherboard, ... >>> this I can reinstall them from backup. ... >> Did you get on the Internet unprotected by a firewall or antivirus? ... >> Direct Download of Service Pack 2 for Windows XP ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: New application to front
    ... It contains advice ... using Windows XP "prettifications". ... latest drivers for your hardware devices. ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)