Re: Zone Alarm accessing registry every 10 seconds

From: Kerodo (loopback_at_localhost.com)
Date: 12/11/04

Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 13:34:53 -0800

In article <j1Dud.7644$yr1.7276@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
afunnyface@thekingscourt.hah says...

> "Kerodo" <loopback@localhost.com> wrote in message
> [snip]
> > By the way, there ARE many other free firewalls out there. If you're
> > dissatisfied with ZA you might check out some others. See the link
> > below:
> >
> > http://wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=57655
>
> Thanks. That link lists 53 free firewalls, which is interesting, but nobody
> can evaluate that many! For example I tried Kerio but found it too
> technical. I seem to recall trying Sygate too, but can't remember for sure.
> Then I settled on ZA because it's easy to use and automatic. I don't have
> the knowledge, time, or interest to setup complicated protocol & port
> permissions.

Yep, you DO have to have some time on your hands to check them out. If
you don't, and most people don't, then the usual ones are probably fine,
like ZA, Sygate, Outpost, etc..

--
Kerodo

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Zone Alarm accessing registry every 10 seconds
    ... That link lists 53 free firewalls, which is interesting, but nobody ... the knowledge, time, or interest to setup complicated protocol & port ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Best free firewall to use
    ... noticed the rest of the list of free firewalls, ... The easiest ones to use are Zonealarm and Sygate, ... Sygate is still available, ... Sygate is not Vista ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: selecting a free firewall
    ... > could anybody advise on the best choice of free firewalls ... I've had a look at ZA and Sygate. ... The local computer may not have the necessary registry ... information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: firewall advice
    ... Does anyone know if there are free firewalls that would allow ... Sygate has the features I'm looking for in their free addition. ... hitting it or kicking it helped, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: port 1002
    ... Doesn't sound like normal behavior... ... and www.zonealarm.com are all free firewalls. ... anything could be using that port... ... > accessible port, but the service can't be identified. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)