Re: VPN usage

From: Lars M. Hansen (badnews_at_hansenonline.net)
Date: 12/10/04

Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 18:39:49 -0500

On 9 Dec 2004 07:22:24 -0800, itsharkopath@yahoo.com spoketh

>Hi,
>
>Are VPN's intended to secure all the data streams going out of the
>client. If not, they should be able to differentiate between the
>connections that should be protected and sent to the VPN gateway and
>those that should directly be sent.
>In the protocol stack, VPN at the client side sits at IP layer.
>Several applications might be running in the client and they might be
>sending data to the destination nodes, will all the traffic be sent to
>the VPN gateway and then be relayed?
>
> shar

It really depends. There are different ways of implementing VPNs.

* Split tunneling- All non-VPN traffic is blocked.
* Transparent tunneling- All traffic goes through the VPN connection,
then through the corporate firewall to it's intended destination (and
back).
* Don't care- VPN traffic is tunneled, regular traffic goes whereever it
needs to go...

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net

  • Re: Possible DHCP issue with VPN clients
    ... You might want to check both the binding order of the NICs (www and VPN ... connections) and also the default gateway metrics on both. ... all of a sudden this client can't connect. ...
  • Re: Hi GG Tried this and still getting same error ...
    ... On the SBS that your VPN client is connected to, you could add the ip range ... If VPN connections are required both ways, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Exchange 2007 and Event 9646
    ... Are you at Windows 2003 SP1? ... VPN users (IPsec client, not SSL-based). ... closing TCP connections, but this isn't a real solution. ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
  • Re: Timeout connecting to VPN
    ... Are you using any hardware VPN devices, or is it Windows VPN on the SBS end? ... When you say VPN client, you mean the built-in client in XP? ... I'd be looking for anything the failed connections have in common. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Dropped Connections
    ... Seems it had a corrupted file that prevented two VPN connections at the same ... Once inside the firewall one client uses Remote Desktop to work on computer A ...
    (microsoft.public.isa.vpn)