Re: Virus's in images?

From: Lars M. Hansen (badnews_at_hansenonline.net)
Date: 12/10/04

Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 18:32:40 -0500

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 22:02:20 -0000, Skywise spoketh

>Can an ordinary image, such a .jpg, contain malicious
>code that can be executed?

Isn't that what the jpeg library bug (search GDI+ on microsoft.com) was
all about? Some buffer overflow somewhere that would allow the attacker
to run code of their choice?

There's also the silly "picture_of_my_naked_sister.jpg.exe" crap. For
those who have hidden the "registered extensions", that would show up as
a jpg file, while for the rest of us, it would show up as the lamest
(and I don't use that word often) attempt at fooling someone.

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net

  • Re: Viruss in images?
    ... >>Can an ordinary image, such a .jpg, contain malicious ... Some buffer overflow somewhere that would allow the attacker ... that is very poor programming ... > a jpg file, while for the rest of us, it would show up as the lamest ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Viruss in images?
    ... > CNN had a story today about wanting the gov't to step ... > Can an ordinary image, such a .jpg, contain malicious ... What is the difference between data (jpg or other data) and code which can ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)