Re: Virus's in images?

From: Jason Edwards (none_at_invalid.invalid)
Date: 12/09/04

Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 22:10:09 -0000

"Skywise" <into@oblivion.nothing.com> wrote in message
news:10rhirc31fsj609@corp.supernews.com...
> I know this has been hashed a bit in this group before.
> But...
>
> CNN had a story today about wanting the gov't to step
> in to do more to protect [dumb] people from scams and
> viruses. In the story they talked a bit about Trojan
> Horses and mentioned how they can hide in many things,
> including images.
>
> Now, I'm not stupid when it comes to computers but I
> can't help but think that this is urban legend.
>
> Can an ordinary image, such a .jpg, contain malicious
> code that can be executed?

What is the difference between data (jpg or other data) and code which can
be executed?

Jason

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Viruss in images?
    ... >>Can an ordinary image, such a .jpg, contain malicious ... Some buffer overflow somewhere that would allow the attacker ... that is very poor programming ... > a jpg file, while for the rest of us, it would show up as the lamest ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Viruss in images?
    ... >Can an ordinary image, such a .jpg, contain malicious ... Isn't that what the jpeg library bug (search GDI+ on microsoft.com) was ... a jpg file, while for the rest of us, it would show up as the lamest ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Gawd! i hate computers...! ( Pages 0x )
    ... [wanting to create a JPG of a page created in Pages] ... Export from Pages as a PDF. ... This simple workaround takes but a minute. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)