Linksys + Sygate PF

From: Brian (flackb_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 12/01/04

    Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 11:26:44 +0100

    I am using a Linksys BEFSR41 switch and I have SPF installed without any
    advanced rules. Using SPF alone, the traffic log showed a confusing array of
    Internet 'noise' being rejected and quite a lot of undesirable polls being
    permitted. However, since installing the switch, I have a very clean traffic
    log. The only rejections shown in the traffic log are incoming UDP polls
    from the switch - and I presume these to be pings or other undesirable
    signals. On the other hand, there are also rejected incoming UDP polls from
    the DNS server of my ISP. As the Linsys switch is the only device that is
    supposed to talk to the DNS server, I do not see how those polls are
    reaching the SPF.
    Can anyone explain?

    Thanks,

    Brian

    • Re: Linksys + Sygate PF
      ... Using SPF alone, the traffic log showed a confusing array ... However, since installing the switch, I have a very clean ... >UDP polls from the DNS server of my ISP. ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: Linksys + Sygate PF
      ... Using SPF alone, the traffic log showed a confusing array ... However, since installing the switch, I have a very clean ... The only rejections shown in the traffic log are incoming UDP polls ... >>supposed to talk to the DNS server, I do not see how those polls are ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: Linksys + Sygate PF
      ... >>I am using a Linksys BEFSR41 switch and I have SPF installed without ... >>switch, I have a very clean traffic log. ... >>to the DNS server, I do not see how those polls are reaching the SPF. ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Value of Sensiveguard freeware firewall ?
      ... I am busy considering to switch from sygate personal firewall because ... SPF is to well known by virus authors: it was easily deactivated by several virus attacks on my PC. ...
      (alt.computer.security)