Re: What does "ICMP to 224.0.0.2" mean?

From: Nick H (me_at_privacy.net)
Date: 10/28/04

Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 16:44:31 GMT

Mozzy wrote:
> Soon after booting my system and then re-connecting the cable modem
> lead to the PC (as it had unplugged itself) I got this message from
> my Sygate firewall
>
> "Windows Explorer (explorer.exe) is trying to broadcast an ICMP Type
> 10 (Router Solicitation) packet to [224.0.0.2]. Do you want to
> allow this program to access the network?"
>
> The IP address does not seem to resolve to ayone in particular. I
> get some sort of info about "multicast".
>
> I am a single home PC attached to the Net. Should I allow this sort
> of thing through?
Do you by any chance have Novell Netware installed on your PC?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: What does "ICMP to 224.0.0.2" mean?
    ... Mozzy wrote: ... > Soon after booting my system and then re-connecting the cable modem ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • no link present error with Enterprise
    ... The link leds on the nic and router are on. ... I'm duel booting with Windows-98 which works fine. ... Connected to a Linksys Router ... (same results when connected directly to the cable modem) ...
    (linux.redhat)