Re: Linksys Wireless Router versus Software Firewall? Need some opinions.

From: Patty Amas (pattyjamas_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 10/22/04

Date: 22 Oct 2004 12:22:43 -0700

Great perspectives. I trusted Steve Gibson more anyway going way back
into the 1980's.
Thanks
Pter

"Woody" <TheDuck@pond.net> wrote in message news:<DI8ed.16152$SB1.15215@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com>...
> The linksys router will relieve your system of processing all the network
> chatter. The software firewall should be kept as it will watch for any
> outgoing pests that may be installed by other programs. Without the router
> your system is being chewed up by incoming hits that the software firewall
> has to interrogate....
>

> "Patty Amas" <pattyjamas@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Been running Sygate Professional (registered) firewall for some time.
> > Am behind a cable modem. Works okay.
> >
> > Since this is an older PC (PIII 800), winder if I could get rid of the
> > Sygate software firewall and use a Linksys Wireless Router (without
> > the Wireless enabled) in order to have the same functionality as the
> > Sygate firewall (would be same as a Zonealarm product).
> >

> > I guess both may be the way to go and I guess I could try going to
> > grc.com and running some tests with various combinations to see the
> > difference of Linksys hardware only, Sygate software only, nothing at
> > all, and combo of Linsys HW and Sygate sw.
> > Thanks much.
> >
> > Sincerely
> > Patty

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Cable Connection Question - Difference?
    ... --> cable device (forwarding ISP's network) ... --> Linksys LAN (private LAN#1) ... If you are using ISA as a firewall/gateway, why use the Linksys router? ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: close ping?
    ... section of my BEFSR41 Linksys Router and could NOT find a setting to shutoff ... Block Anonymous Internet Requests. ... This keeps your network from being ... Select Enabled to block anonymous Internet requests, ...
  • Re: IP Address Conflict
    ... They don't route outside of the network and they keep a special route to make it accessible even when it 'appears' it shouldn't be. ... Your camera problem probably has something to do with port forwarding ... configuration on your new Linksys router. ... can be configured into the Linksys router. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Wireless problem on Vista
    ... I just installed a D-Link DIR-625 router, before, we had a Linksys router ... I right click the network icon in the taskbar ... this is not an option suitable for the usual WPA Personal encryption, ...
  • Re: Need help setting up bridge between Linksys WRT54GS and Apple AirPort Extreme
    ... wi-fi network with WPA2 encryption ... MacBook connected via wi-fi to the Linksys router ... Base Station (This printer also supports Ethernet connection) ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)