Re: VisNetic Firewall 2.2

From: Kerodo (nomail_at_localhost.com)
Date: 10/22/04

Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 17:33:14 -0700

In article <1hgy7au4tlcjq.18yp668e8ej9i.dlg@40tude.net>,
lvuletic@seezaaampro.yu says...
> Have anyone here used this firewall? I want something more sophisticated
> then simple aplication based firewall.
>
> Is it worth a try? Thanks in advance.

I've tried it here and liked it very much. It's a nice straightforward
stateful inspection rules based firewall. Pretty well done too.

The only thing that bothered me was the lack of application control.
For example, if you allow TCP outbound to remote port 80 for your
browsers, then you're also allowing ANY other app outbound connections
on 80 with no notification. So unless you're fairly certain you won't
be running any rogue apps on your machine ever, you might want to think
twice about it. The firewall won't be telling you what's connecting out
on port 80.

Otherwise, it's a great firewall... worth a try definitely...

--
Kerodo

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [fw-wiz] Opinions wanted...
    ... I'll toss my opinions on the plate for what they are worth. ... It's a true security geek's firewall, ... with them, I wonder about the cost/benefit ratio, as I've found Cisco ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: Why bother?
    ... It does more than just beef up the firewall (which, let's face it, wasn't ... Upgrading is definitely worth ... Is there any need to install SP2? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Is ISA recommended when using OWA or RWW?
    ... I'm not sure that would qualify as a good firewall, ... It makes sense that port 80 isn't needed, though I often see it cited for some reason. ... Under what circumstances should I consider also installing ISA 2004 and using it in conjunction with these? ... The standard procedure for enabling OWA/RWW really doesn't get into ISA that I noticed, so I imagine going without it is OK, but it would be helpful to know more about when it would be worth the extra trouble of implementing it for this specific purpose. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Is ISA recommended when using OWA or RWW?
    ... would be easy to add another if it's worth it. ... It's behind a DD-WRT driven router. ... SBS's firewall is running as well. ... It makes sense that port 80 isn't needed, though I often see it cited ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: "Its worth to pay..."?
    ... I'm not advertising the firewall, ... "It's worth to pay just $19.95 for the difference!" ... is good enough to show what was grammatically incorrect about the ...
    (alt.usage.english)