Re: Outpost firewall 2.5

From: Kerodo (nomail_at_localhost.com)
Date: 10/19/04

    Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 22:39:09 -0700

    In article <MPG.1bde4659c1e760e4989a53@news.interbaun.com>,
    anony@mous.com says...
    > >Almost none of the bugs was removed, but we got some new ones... old and
    > >nasty bugs that annoyed me too much: netrange bug and shutdown bug with
    > >win2k pro (it stays freezed forever, failed to end xpcom:evntrciv process),
    >
    > I'm running on Win2k pro, and have had no problems with shutdown.

    I had the shutdown problem mentioned here also on Win2k with 2.5. It
    was present in 2.1 as well. Outpost is hanging on to some registry
    keys/handles and not releasing them at shutdown. It doesn't happen
    every time, just once in a while, but it causes Win2k to hang at the
    "saving your settings" dialog for about 60 seconds while Windows tries
    to unload the registry and user profile. It gives up after 60 seconds
    and shuts down, but the user profile isn't properly updated, which may
    be a problem for some users.

    Anyone having this problem can solve it by running the Microsoft User
    Profile Hive Cleanup Service which can be found here (link may wrap):

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1b286e6d-8912-
    4e18-b570-42470e2f3582&displaylang=en

    Other than that though, I find Outpost 2.5 to be very good...

    --
    Kerodo

    • RE: Windows 2000 server shutdown time query
      ... shutting them down when it comes time to shutdown. ... in the past have been known to cause different versions of windows to ... The WaitToKillServiceTimeout value name in the registry allows you to ... You could be experiencing issues unloading your user profile. ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.setup)
    • RE: Machine shuts down when you select restart?
      ... confirm if the issue only occurs on the specific user profile. ... I suggest we restart the computer in Safe Mode to see if the problem also ... Please shutdown the computer to test. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: The effect of 8K cluster size (FAT32) on the performance of an SSD
      ... Samsung HD103UJ HDD to put an end to the misery that is SSD and win2k ... shutdown induced corruption and discovered the importance of matching ... suffered any shutdown induced corruption whatsoever. ...
      (uk.comp.homebuilt)
    • Re: My Document Redirection
      ... he informed me that he had been receiving an error during ... shutdown and that must have been what it was. ... This is a bit speculative, but given this situation, I would suspect a corrupt ... Windows user profile for this user. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: system file missing or corrupt again!
      ... >>switched back on to boot into win2k, ... >>I let win2k shutdown by itself, no forced shutdown, so why did this ... > I had this happen on a system with a bad motherboard. ... Can anyone tell me why the ERD is not bootable and cannot be used as an ERD? ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.general)