Network security

From: Rock (1940_at_pobox.com)
Date: 10/17/04

Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 20:38:54 +1000

Hello,

I have a mshome network thru a hub with on attached via a wireless
gateway which also is a gateway to the Internet.

I have tested security from the internet and the firewall is fine and my
network can't be seen however..

I had a friend over with his wireless laptop and he was able to get to
my network via Network Places etc. I had to tell him the network name,
still it registered as insecure.

In Network properties I set the Wireless connection using the WEP with
windows giving the security number automatically and it says it is
secure, but obviously isn't.

How do I secure my wireless network with XP?

Thanks

Rock

Relevant Pages

  • Hey Neighbor, Stop Piggybacking on My Wireless
    ... Stop Piggybacking on My Wireless ... the wireless Internet connection Christine and Randy Brodeur ... Many home network ...
    (alt.gathering.rainbow)
  • Re: Perhaps the most OBVIOUS question you will ever see.
    ... I am not saying it is a good idea to run an open wireless access ... Internet firewall in place, I would worry more about the threat from ... Packets to and from machines on the wired network are not ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: peer to peer not working but internet does.
    ... desktop to router ... File sharing is on in both and so is internet sharing. ... You may need to describe your network in detail. ... Wireless Router connected to Desktop with Ethernet Cable. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Perhaps the most OBVIOUS question you will ever see.
    ... A wireless attacker cannot "sniff" anything except other wireless ... Packets to and from machines on the wired network are not ... providing free Internet access to anyone nearby. ... my boss is under the impression that since we are ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless)
  • Re: Perhaps the most OBVIOUS question you will ever see.
    ... A wireless attacker cannot "sniff" anything except other wireless ... Packets to and from machines on the wired network are not ... providing free Internet access to anyone nearby. ... my boss is under the impression that since we are ...
    (microsoft.public.access.security)