Re: DLink DI-604

From: Andrew Rossmann (andysnewsreply_at_no_junk.comcast.net)
Date: 10/13/04

    Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 16:21:37 -0500

    In article <TuidnSX9x_TA8vHcRVn-qg@wideopenwest.com>, <r> says...
    > Is there a way to block outgoing traffic? For example, with windows xp sp2
    > firewall, whenever a program such as Pocket PC Activsync or TIVO server
    > attempt to send outgoing traffic, a dialog pops up and asks whether or not
    > to allow it. I'm also thinking about software (such as AutoCAD) which
    > attempts to automatically connect to the internet. I understand that I can
    > turn the feature off in the software itself, but I don't want of that type
    > of outgoing traffic to be allowed.
    >
    > I'm having problems running XP's firewall with my DLink router and want to
    > turn Windows Firewall off and rely on my "hardware" firewall.
    >
    > However, it appears that there is a default rule that is set up to allow all
    > LAN sourced traffic pass. I created a rule that was essentially the
    > opposite (deny rather than allow) but then I can't do anything (browse the
    > internet, VPN into work, etc).

      The D-Link only has a basic firewall. All you can block is by port
    and/or IP address.

      What software are you having problems with? Why not use something like
    ZoneAlarm instead of MS's pathetic firewall? It only controls incoming
    (somewhat), and outgoing is more oriented at controlling programs using
    non-standard ports. Alot of software use standard HTTP port 80 for
    update checking, etc.. Don't force MS's firewall on if you are using
    another software firewall. Doing so could cause all sorts of weird
    problems and performance issues.

    law!!
    http://home.att.net/~andyross

    • Re: [Firewalls] Checkpoint FW-1 - Static NAT
      ... These services perform port mapping. ... destination port and IP address of a connection can be changed. ... After installing the new policy on the target Firewall Module, ... One to the internet, and the other to ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: Inaccessible Port 80 - Pentest
      ... donot think a firewall would block be blocking. ... A mixture of layer 3 port filtering to restrict you to port 80 would seem to ... Internet, open one port on it and then block it from public use? ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • Re: keeping ports open
      ... If a port is open, it means that 1) a software or service is running on your ... and 2) you're not using a firewall or your firewall isn't ... Use firewall software and hardware and antivirus software that is ... Follow the instructions for hardening Windows and IIS at ...
      (microsoft.public.security)
    • Re: How to Maintain an IIS Server?
      ... > server running on a Windows 2000 server. ... before a firewall and antivirus have been installed]. ... open ports; however, this will not identify which program is using the port. ...
    • Re: CEICW fails at firewall config
      ... ISA Server prevents connection to a remote desktop when you connect through ... Remote Web Workplace on a Windows Small Business Server 2003-based computer ... Acceleration Server as a firewall. ... connection uses TCP port 4125. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)