DLink DI-604

Date: 10/13/04

Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 19:57:17 -0400

Is there a way to block outgoing traffic? For example, with windows xp sp2
firewall, whenever a program such as Pocket PC Activsync or TIVO server
attempt to send outgoing traffic, a dialog pops up and asks whether or not
to allow it. I'm also thinking about software (such as AutoCAD) which
attempts to automatically connect to the internet. I understand that I can
turn the feature off in the software itself, but I don't want of that type
of outgoing traffic to be allowed.

I'm having problems running XP's firewall with my DLink router and want to
turn Windows Firewall off and rely on my "hardware" firewall.

However, it appears that there is a default rule that is set up to allow all
LAN sourced traffic pass. I created a rule that was essentially the
opposite (deny rather than allow) but then I can't do anything (browse the
internet, VPN into work, etc).

My firewall rules are set as shown below

      Firewall Rules List

        Action Name Source Destination Protocol
     Allow (stealth113) WAN,* LAN,192.168.0.251 TCP,113
     Allow WinMXTCP WAN,* LAN,local computer TCP,8888
     Allow WinMXUDP WAN,* LAN,local computer UDP,9999
     Deny Default *,* LAN,* *,*
     Allow Default LAN,* *,* *,*

Any ideas?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: login attempts
    ... > Every day i have on my win2000 iternet server a lots of wrong login ... Windows by default allows ... You also need a firewall. ... the internet, except for those ports you know you're using. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: SP2 problem connecting to web after instal
    ... > I've just installed SP2 after downloading all Windows updates first. ... > installed from CD after checking with Microsoft that I didn't have any ... > As soon as it finished installing, I disabled their firewall, as I ... > I've checked my Internet settings which seem OK. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Will computers ever be as simple and reliable as a refrigerator?
    ... The problem is that a refrigerator does ONE thing.. ... Your computer is not connected to the Internet. ... using Windows XP "prettifications". ... Why you should use a computer firewall.. ...
  • Re: Will computers ever be as simple and reliable as a refrigerator?
    ... > The problem is that a refrigerator does ONE thing.. ... Your computer is not connected to the Internet. ... You don't need a firewall - because you don't have any ... > using Windows XP "prettifications". ...
  • Re: Guide to secure installtion of IIS 5
    ... don't forget a well-configured firewall. ... Do not put the computer onto the network or the Internet until after the ... Follow the instructions for hardening Windows and IIS at ... Install all service packs and security fixes from Microsoft and otherwise ...