Re: Pix Firewall: How to Block MSN?

From: Lars M. Hansen (
Date: 10/12/04

Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 08:22:22 -0400

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 08:03:32 -0400, Lars M. Hansen spoketh

>It's easier to prevent the use of MSN Messenger (or Windows Messenger as
>it is called in Windows XP) by using Group Policies. There's a specific
>setting in "Computer Settings->Administrative Templates->Windows
>Components->Windows Messenger" called "Do not allow Windows Messenger to
>run". By enabling this in a GP that's distributed to all workstations,
>your problem will go away without having to track down dozens of login
>servers for MSN ...

Correction. This will only prevent the default "Windows Messenger" from
running. The MSN messenger is a separate installed program, and the
above will not stop it from running ... my bad.

I'd suggest having the software removed from the computers...

Lars M. Hansen

  • Windows XP-SP2: Cant get Remote Assistance to work - Posting second time - Help!
    ... Both PCs have the color video settings at 16 Bit - medium. ... I have tried requesting Remote Assistance. ... I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling MSN messenger 7.5 - same results. ... I have tried upgrading Windows messenger to 5.1 - same results. ...
  • Re: MSN messenger is just ridiculous
    ... > Now I've gone back to the standard Windows Messenger. ... for a start because MSN messenger is so intrusive - I ... > features like ...
  • Re: Whats the diff between Windows and MSN messenger?
    ... Exchange IM services ... Office Live Communication Server ... > thing to keep in mind, Windows Messenger must still be installed on ... > MSN Messenger to retain full functionality (Remote Assistance, Whiteboard, ...
  • Re: NO AUDIO - Jonathan Kay - can you please help me again?!?
    ... > I use MSN Messenger 6.2 ... > have windows messenger check in the add/remove ... If your brother is using ICS or a hardware ... router/NAT device, then the ports might be closed that MSN Messenger ...
  • Re: I cant uninstall windows messenger!
    ... Windows Messenger is NOT integral to Windows XP. ... It is an add-in that can ... MSN Messenger WAS integral to the MSN service IF you had MSN as your dial-up ... Are you saying that I can't uninstall windows messenger? ...