Re: Pix Firewall: How to Block MSN?

From: Lars M. Hansen (badnews_at_hansenonline.net)
Date: 10/12/04

Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 08:03:32 -0400

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 08:29:37 +0800, Steven Ung spoketh

>We're still attending training on how to manage the PIX but my boss is
>asking me to block MSN from our network.
>
>Could anyone please let me know the command to block MSN on the PIX?
>
>The ADSL connects to a Cisco 17xx Router before going to the Cisco PIX 51x.
>
>I can telnet and issue commands to the pix, just not sure of the commands or
>ports that need to be block.
>
>Appreciate the help. Thanks

It's easier to prevent the use of MSN Messenger (or Windows Messenger as
it is called in Windows XP) by using Group Policies. There's a specific
setting in "Computer Settings->Administrative Templates->Windows
Components->Windows Messenger" called "Do not allow Windows Messenger to
run". By enabling this in a GP that's distributed to all workstations,
your problem will go away without having to track down dozens of login
servers for MSN ...

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net

  • Re: Pix Firewall: How to Block MSN?
    ... > Could anyone please let me know the command to block MSN on the PIX? ... > I can telnet and issue commands to the pix, just not sure of the commands ... AFAIK you can block all outgoing connections to TCP port 1863 (IP range ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Pix Firewall: How to Block MSN?
    ... >> Could anyone please let me know the command to block MSN on the PIX? ... >> I can telnet and issue commands to the pix, just not sure of the commands ... Instant Messenger ie the chat program. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Pix Firewall: How to Block MSN?
    ... Could anyone please let me know the command to block MSN on the PIX? ... The ADSL connects to a Cisco 17xx Router before going to the Cisco PIX 51x. ... I can telnet and issue commands to the pix, just not sure of the commands or ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Pix Firewall: How to Block MSN?
    ... > asking me to block MSN from our network. ... > Could anyone please let me know the command to block MSN on the PIX? ... > I can telnet and issue commands to the pix, just not sure of the commands or ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)