Help with SHOREWALL

From: Jules (jules_at_nowhere.com)
Date: 10/12/04

Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 03:52:34 GMT

My new installation of shorewall on a test machine is blocking
everything (as far as I can tell). To test it, I made the following
changes;

- remarked out all rules in RULES file
- put only one entry in the POLICY file - "all all ACCEPT info"
- remarked out all actions in /usr/share/shorewall/actions.std

I assume the above changes would make the system wide open, but it still
doesn't work - I can't ping anything. My log (/var/log/messages) says;

...Shorewall:all2all:REJECT:IN= OUT=eth1 SRC=10.0.0.1 DST=10.0.0.99...

where 10.0.0.1 is the firewall machine and 10.0.0.99 is another host.
Eth1 is working (can ping other hosts ok when shorewall is stopped).

Have I misunderstood how shorewall works? I went through the quickstart
guide, documentation, FAQs, etc. and couldn't find the answer.

Thanks in advance.