Re: Proper firewall and NAT router

From: Mike Saunders (mike_at_folleytech.co.uk)
Date: 10/09/04

Date: 8 Oct 2004 17:38:50 -0500

Duane Arnold wrote:

> "Mike Saunders" <mike@folleytech.co.uk> wrote in
>
> > I am fairly familiar with my home NAT router and its facilities (eg
> > port forwarding, IP filtering, VPN etc) and would like to know in
> > what way this is inferior to commercial firewall products. I note
> > that a no of posts have said that a NAT router is not a proper
> > firewall
> >

> It talks about the FW (none) part of the NAT router for home usage.
>
> http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-NAT.asp
>
> If the NAT router cannot meet the specs in the link *about what a FW
> does*, then it is not a FW appliance.
>
> http://www.firewall-software.com/firewall_faqs/what_does_firewall_do.h
> tml
>
> Duane :)

Useful links, thanks

Mike

  • Re: Zone Alarm has blocked 552 intrusions in the last 3 hours!
    ... Duane Arnold wrote: ... NAT router, which cost no more or even less in the long run than ZA you ... A NAT router is an effective border device that ... It sits at the border of the untrusted network -- ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Windows XP Firewall
    ... Duane Arnold wrote: ... >>thoughts were on the built in firewall that Windows XP has. ... > FW and use Active Ports to watch outbound connections on a routine bases, ... > front of the machine and use IPsec to supplement the NAT router on outbound ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Zone Alarm has blocked 552 intrusions in the last 3 hours!
    ... Duane Arnold wrote: ... NAT router, which cost no more or even less in the long run than ZA you ... A NAT router is an effective border device that ... A NAT router sites between the comps on your LAN and your ISP's ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Proper firewall and NAT router
    ... > port forwarding, IP filtering, VPN etc) and would like to know in what ... > way this is inferior to commercial firewall products. ... It talks about the FW part of the NAT router for home usage. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Disabling the WinXP Firewall with a program
    ... Duane Arnold wrote: ... >> Microsoft has made it extremely easy to disable the new Windows Firewall ... > Malware writers can knock down any PFW solution when it comes down to it. ... > NAT router in front of the machine. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)